Logistics - permit, Kaiser Pass Road, Vermillion Ferry

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Logistics - permit, Kaiser Pass Road, Vermillion Ferry

Post by Troutdog 59 »

You can "disperse camp" anywhere along the road where you can pulloff, but if you have a campfire you would need a FS campfire permit. Its fine for most baclpackers as they are only looking for a place to sleep, not a true camp. There is a small campground (Bosillio ?) right next to the High Sierra ranger station and Ive slept there as well, but more often I have just pulled off the road near the Ranger Station and thrown down my bag. If you are there right when they open up (I think its 8:00), you can get to VVR and make the ferry by 9:30 pretty easily. I would just suggest checking their current operating hours as budget constraints may have changed when they are open. I dont think you would make the ferry by 9:30 if you pick it up in the morning at the Eastwood Visitor Center. While its only 18 miles or so to Edison, it takes a good 1.5 hrs to get to VVR from Huntington Lake. Good luck with your trip!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Logistics - permit, Kaiser Pass Road, Vermillion Ferry

Post by bheiser1 »

Telkwa wrote:I was wondering if someone with a badge would come along and roust people quick-camping off the road. Good to know that we won't be in violation of some ordinance or another. That sort of thing wouldn't fly in Yosemite!
Yup, the difference is the different rules in national forests vs national parks. Dispersed camping isn't allowed in national parks, but is in national forests, with some exceptions as mentioned earlier ... like around high use areas, dams, etc.

It's funny to see this play out around Yosemite, at least near the west entrance(s). Since it takes years and years (grin, exaggeration) to get a campsite reservation in the park, lots of people take advantage of being able to camp along the road on USFS land near the entrance. The main road can look like a campground late on a Friday night :).