Emigrant Lake TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bps999
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Emigrant Lake TR

Post by bps999 »

Made it to Emigrant Lake on July 10 2011, here's some info on conditions. We started on July 9th from Kennedy meadows and first tried the branch towards relief valley. We considered Summit Creek uncrossable, so back tracked slightely and took the branch towards sheep camp. Snow started a mile or more below sheep camp and became 100% coverage very quickly. The forest at the bend in the creek at sheep camp was almost 100% covered, we found an ok camp several hundred yards back from the creek in the rock formations. On July 10th we proceeded towards lunch meadow, finding some sections of exposed trail but mostly snow cover. We crossed the creek on a slightly questionable snow bridge (it could easily have been waded at knee deep or less) and headed up towards mosquito pass. 100% suncuped snow all the way over. Got a slight break from the suncups in the forest just before Emigrant Lake. The Lake was mostly snow covered but did have a substantial liquid section at the East end. Returned to sheep camp the same day, and then hiked out on July 11. Hot and sunny the whole time, I would think the snow should be melting fast, so things may have changed quite a bit by now.
bps999
Topix Novice

Re: Emigrant Lake TR

Post by bps999 »

Here are a few pics. One of the terrain between Mosquito pass and Emigrant Lake, one of Emigrant Lake, and one closeup of the suncups in the area. All taken 7/10/'11.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Bps999 for posting this TR.
Really like the last photo, it really shows off all that snow that is still out there, and
the Emigrant Lake shot is nice too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

I love that second photo - Am going to try and get there before school starts up in 3 weeks. Thanks for the TR.

Ladd
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Looks like a winter wonderland in the middle of July. Gorgeous. Thanks for the report and photos.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Thanks for the TR and pics, even if they show theres still more snow than I was hoping for and the skeeters are starting to show up in force :( . It is however, a good reminder for all of us that there is still a ton of snow left out there. I think its real easy for any of us to start to thinking that areas like this have to be open now. Its an area thats lower in elevation than the higher parts of the sierra and it typically opens up a bit earlier than most, so its easy to just start thinking it has to be accessible and it most years it would be. This year is not most and your pics are a stark reminder to us all that there is still alot of snow to melt off and challenges to face when crossing streams and/or snow fields. Be safe out there folks. More horrible news this morning about some possible fatalaties in Yosemite due to high water.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Thanks for sharing the picture and TR. Theres still a lot of snow out there.

Texan