TR: Sierra South -Green Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Sierra South -Green Lake

Post by scottg1178 »

Some friends and I took a trip up to Green Lake which passes through Brown Lake over the weekend. I hope you enjoy the report.

Green Lake is located at 11,054 feet in the South Lake Backcountry in the Southern Sierras. The lake is called "Green" lake because of its unique green tint. There are two different trail heads, one of which leaves from Parchers Resort, the other takes off from the South Lake Parking lot. In order to save some time we took the more direct route out of the South Lake parking lot which starts with an easy climb on a large drainage pipe that meets up with the trail out of Parchers.

We hit the trail at 7:00am and within just a few minutes we saw a nice size deer that scattered upon seeing us. About a mile later we had another encounter.....this time with a bear. We had just turned a corner of a switchback and as I looked up a bear was jogging down our Trail path right towards us about 30 yards away! Knowing the dangers of running from a bear, I froze in my tracks and shouted "Bear" to the guys with me. The bear hearing me took one look at us and ran directly off the trail and into the woods....Scary moment for a second.

As we continued on the some moderate switch backs we made it up to a beautiful meadow with small creeks running out of Brown lake and some local mountain run off.
Green Lake.jpg

Through the meadow we ended up at Brown Lake. which was a good looking small lake. Since it was early the lake was very still and you could see a few fish jumping here and there.
Brown Lake 2.jpg
After Brown Lake the trail was washed out in some sections due to the heavy snow season and run off. Instead of walking through water we opted to take a detour over some rocks that lead back to the trail
Green Lake Rocks.jpg
After the rocks we had a short hike to Green Lake which has its name for a reason
Green Lake Hike.jpg
Green Lake 3.jpg
We hiked around to the inlet
Green Lake Inlet.jpg
After spending a couple hours fishing we headed down the mountain but not before my freind caught a nice looking trout
IMG953955.jpg
Fairly easy hike on the way down
Brown Lake above.jpg
Hiking the pipeline back with South Lake in the back ground
Green Lake Pipe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Hitter
Topix Newbie

Re: TR: Sierra South -Green Lake

Post by Big Hitter »

Thanks for the great report and including the pictures.

That is an epic backcountry bow!!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks Scott for taking the time to post your TR.
Would have loved to see a photo of the bear.
Nice size rainbow!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Thanks for the report Scott. Looks like you guys had a blast and your buddy did well I see!!!

ladd
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Thats a nice rainbow. I haven't fished that lake for 20 years and the rainbows back then were 10-12 inches. Thanks for the report.

Texan
scottg1178
Topix Acquainted

Post by scottg1178 »

Thanks guys.....wish I had a picture of the bear, if he wouldn't have been so close I might have been able to sneak a shot without him looking. If it was Yosemite I probably could have pet him!

Texan...if you were catching 10-12 inchers 20 years ago....I wonder what they look like now!! I hope you released them for me next year.

Scott
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

scottg1178 wrote:Thanks guys.....wish I had a picture of the bear, if he wouldn't have been so close I might have been able to sneak a shot without him looking. If it was Yosemite I probably could have pet him!

Texan...if you were catching 10-12 inchers 20 years ago....I wonder what they look like now!! I hope you released them for me next year.

Scott
I have fished green lake about 4 times and released all the trout I caught. The last time I was there was in 1990.

Texan
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great pictures and nice fish. Thanks for the report!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Very nice rainbow- never been to that neck of the woods.