Let people know (where you're going)

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Let people know (where you're going)

Post by AlmostThere »

wildrose wrote: He did say, as far as he knows, no SAR charges people for being rescued, and that includes Yosemite SAR program.
Yosemite SAR will charge for medical services provided, and bill your insurance if you have it. And, with our team, if we arrive and the person refuses help, we walk away - we do not threaten to charge them. Otherwise he is correct.

I wouldn't expect anyone to be charged.

We are also called upon to search for missing children and Alzheimers sufferers, and to track felons on the lam in the wilderness.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

AlmostThere,

Thanks for this thread. We usually leave a detailed itinerary. This year, in response to your post, we have added detailed identifying information and a photo. We'll leave it with a family member to email to the forest service if we are more than 24 hours late (a call to the rangers first, of course). With the photo and the info, we'll be much more easily found.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

AlmostThere wrote:
wildrose wrote: He did say, as far as he knows, no SAR charges people for being rescued, and that includes Yosemite SAR program.
Yosemite SAR will charge for medical services provided, and bill your insurance if you have it.
What insurance does the SAR team charge? Health insurance? in the way an ambulance service would?
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Let people know

Post by bheiser1 »

AlmostThere wrote: interesting that Google thinks North Lake is in Yosemite.
Also, apparently Mt Whitney has moved. According to Google it's now located in Yosemite Valley.

It's on this map ... just scroll the map to the left ( errr, move the map to the right, so you can see what's to the left) ...

The JMT is now a day hike :D

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-v ... il-map.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:bear:
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

bheiser1 wrote:[
What insurance does the SAR team charge? Health insurance? in the way an ambulance service would?
Good question -- I bet most health insurers would refuse to cover SAR.
Who does cover the cost of SAR? I know the rescuers volunteer their time (and deserve a Purple Heart for it!), but what about the helicopters, etc? I guess the NPS.

As someone who would make a bad "rescuee" (I change my mind on the fly too much to leave a meaningful detailed itinerary), I have to say I'd gladly pay if it were my life that was being saved. Who wouldn't?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

quentinc wrote:
bheiser1 wrote:[
Good question -- I bet most health insurers would refuse to cover SAR.
Who does cover the cost of SAR? I know the rescuers volunteer their time (and deserve a Purple Heart for it!), but what about the helicopters, etc? I guess the NPS.
You cover the cost of SAR. Usually the county sheriff's office runs the SAR team. Any moneys for helicopters or other resources comes from them and the helo is usually the lion's share of the cost. Volunteers buy their own equipment, usually, and for searches, we get a mileage reimbursement and sometimes a sandwich or burrito for our trouble (and a nice thank you when we're all done). NPS SAR teams are paid for their services and get all their equipment bought for them, but the money comes from the gov'ment of course. Your tax dollars at work.

It usually works this way - when your county residents come to our county and get lost, we'll go looking for them, so you (the local SAR) will do the same when our county residents visit your county and get lost.

YOSAR will charge the MEDICAL insurance, for MEDICAL services rendered by the MEDICAL staff on their SAR team (which counties don't typically have on their teams - unless you get paramedics volunteering). Same as if you visit the clinic in Yosemite Village and get treatment. Of course they can't charge for the searching and rescuing.
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Re: Let people know

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

bheiser1 wrote:
AlmostThere wrote: interesting that Google thinks North Lake is in Yosemite.
Also, apparently Mt Whitney has moved. According to Google it's now located in Yosemite Valley.

It's on this map ... just scroll the map to the left ( errr, move the map to the right, so you can see what's to the left) ...

The JMT is now a day hike :D

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-v ... il-map.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:bear:
In the days of paper maps, publishers would seed city maps with fake alleys to detect copyright infringers. I wonder if this is done for the same purpose.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Allegedly dictionary publishers do or used to do the same thing with fake words. That should be a felony!
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

quentinc wrote:Allegedly dictionary publishers do or used to do the same thing with fake words. That should be a felony!
LOL!!!

That reminds of some creative GIS work I did for the Forest Service. Right before I retired I was editing an annotation layer in GIS -- entering all the place names. Feeling whimsical and somewhat bored with the monotonous editing, I noticed several unnamed meadows and lakes in the wilderness. So I just created names for them. My dog has a meadow named after her, my wife a lake, daughter a meadow and several other friends and family members. Nothing official, of course. I thought no one would use those names, as they are unofficial and not on a public layer.

Imagine my surprise a few years later when a wilderness map was published on a non-FS website using some very familiar names...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm reading Roper's High Sierra Route - he admits to naming a number of places out there.

I guess someone's got to name 'em?

It's interesting that most lakes are named after women and most mountains after men, with few exceptions.