5 day backpacking trip in High Sierras in late August?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5 day backpacking trip in High Sierras in late August?

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with Old Ranger wholeheartedly. I've done most of that during parts of 4 trips and would say it's strenuous at 9 days, 8 nights, because it's just a strenuous trip period. I think most would agree with me that the trip I suggested is a nearly ideal 5 day trip and my trip is moderate to strenuous.

PS: lambertiana, I loved your pics.
tom
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lambertiana wrote "The section from Horseshoe Lakes to Cartridge Pass is one of the
nicest I have seen in the Sierras. It is a little longer than your preference for a 50 mile
trip, but you indicate that you would consider a six night trip, and this loop is easily
done in seven days/six nights."

Lambertiana your absolutely right, this is a wonderful section of the Sierra.
Granite Basin/Lake area is pretty, the Windy Ridge to Marion Lake is spectacular
and one could spend at least 3 night in this area alone.
Then you have Lakes Basin, the pretty lake on the way down from Cartridge Pass
and a night, or two, at Bench Lake is a must, and even one at the Muro Blanco is
fun, so yes it could be done in 6 nights, but why rush.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Maverick hit this nail on the head. It's an incredible area deserving of spending time there to get some appreciation. It's about as good as it gets.

Mike & Jim above Marion Lake
tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lschen78
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by lschen78 »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think we will start out on Copper Creek and will have to see how long we can go out for. The area sounds beautiful and we enjoy the solitude.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I've been eyeing the trip suggested by Lambertiana, varying a bit by using Roper's High Route to get to Lakes Basin. Given this year's conditions, does anyone have a sense of whether there would be any added difficulties doing this trip starting the beginning of August? (Other than mosquitoes, which will be a universal theme for August.)