South Lake North Lake Loop TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
orbweaver
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: South Lake North Lake Loop TR

Post by orbweaver »

I have a permit to enter Piute Pass on August 10, going to South Lake. A friend did this trip last year at about the same time and said he only had to wade Evolution Creek, I believe. Now I'm reading about a couple of difficult crossings. Any advice will be appreciated. I'll certainly give a trip report when I return. Thanks.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: South Lake North Lake Loop TR

Post by kpeter »

Mike M, ManoftooMany,

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll take the microspikes just in case, but unless we get trail reports indicating otherwise I'll leave the crampons and axe.

WD, here is a link to the microspikes. They seem to be what the through hikers primarily use:

http://www.rei.com/product/774966/kahto ... ion-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are not too many trail conditions when crampons would be better, but the lack of toe spikes and longer spikes on the edges make them less secure when cutting and kicking steps on steep slopes. They also take much less practice and skill to use properly than crampons. If you take the microspikes and don't use them you have wasted 12 ounces.