Mineral King Dayhike - May 30th

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mineral King Dayhike - May 30th

Post by Shawn »

The good news is, I had a good time, got lots of exercise, and really enjoyed the scenery. :)

The bad news is, I need to drive faster thru Three Rivers, park my car away from the trailhead, and remember to look at my map if I ever want to get to my intended destination. :o

Here is a brief TR.

http://www.theradioroom.org/MineralPeak.htm
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

It looks like you had a great time, regardless of your final destination. Good thing them Marmots didn't eat up your whole truck!
ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Wow, that's some trip. I did not know that marmots enjoy eating car parts. Good to know, so i don't take a rental SUV down there. Try to explain to the rental company why the wires and whatever else were eaten :eek:
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Great trip report shawn. Thanks for sharing. It seems when you have a trip like that, all the little unpleasantries pale in comparison to everything else.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Indeed the "little unpleasantries" do pale in comparison to everything else. The views are so terrific, it makes all of the work to get there very worthwhile.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Nice trip report! I have tried telling people that the marmots eat the hood liners....got about 50% of my subaru's my last trip. Basic reply back from folks has been "never touched my car." A picture is worth a thousand words isn't it?
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report. Great story, photos, and a fine adventure. Mineral Pk brings back fond memories for me. It was the day after my 10th birthday (which was celebrated on Sawtooth Pk) and I was taught how to use an ice axe (self arrest practice, etc) on Mineral Peak during the early stages of the climb from Monarch L. Although it was Aug. 3, there was still a ton of snow on the peak because it was one of the heaviest winters on record (1969). There wasn't nearly as much snow as you encountered, however. Speaking of losing something down the slope during the climb, I had my canteen pop out of my belt and go bounding down the steep rock/talus slope from near the summit; it sort of ruptured in the process and was spraying water the whole way down. It went hundreds of feet down (and off the route) so I never retrieved it.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Nicely written Shawn, enjoyed the read. That long twisty turny drive up is certainly one of the most nauseating in the Sierra. I actually have drawn up a route climbing up on the ridge nose you reached and following it out some towards Mineral Peak in order to get an afternoon photo of Mineral Peak. For those unfamiliar with that peak, it has a pointy shape with nice metamorphic rock colors. Looking at those snow shots makes me want to toss my skins and bc skis in the car but I've bagged such thoughts this season. Gas just to pricy to bother. I've parked three times in Mineral King the last five years without taking marmot precautions. Don't have any hood insulation so they may not have though me worthy. ...David
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Wow, great report AND wonderful photos! You were so close... but getting to the top isn't what its all about anyway. Count me in as one who didn't know marmots eat vehicles... I've never had such a problem, at least not that I'm aware of. Hmmmm. I better go check my hood insulation!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

The car eating marmots of Mineral King are notoriously famous. Once, marmots ate my chair. Another time in camp a guy in our group spotted a marmot and began screaming and chasing the beast. "They ate my car in Mineral King", he explained. It is common to see parked cars at the Mineral King TH with chicken-wire around them. I think marmots are more likely to get the car munchies early season. ("Just as I thought...Mineocks..." said Han Solo.)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;