Colby Pass trail at Kern River question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Colby Pass trail at Kern River question

Post by jimmeans »

I'm in the planning process for a mid-August trip that will cross Colby Pass and descend to the Kern. This will be the first time that anybody in my group has been down this trail. I've been searching high and low to find info on the Colby Pass trail crossing of the Kern River at Junction Meadow, and I've been unable to find any descriptions or photos of this crossing on the WWW.

What can I expect at this crossing? Full-on wade, rock hopping, logs, steel suspension bridge,...?

Thanks,
Jim
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Colby Pass trail at Kern River question

Post by copeg »

There's no bridge at this location. I've crossed it twice, both times later in the season of low snow years, and both times it was a mixture of rock hopping and strolling through shallow rapids. I recall it being fairly wide which mitigates the need to wade - of course this depends upon the time of year and season. I'd predict you'd have similar conditions in mid-August.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The west side of Colby Pass tends to deteriorate. I have been over twice- once before trail re-building and once after (thanks CCC trail crew!). The switchbacks are supported by rock walls, and if they fail it is steep scree. This year's snow could also cover parts of the trail and the snow would be very steep and icy. The east side is easy. You have to pay attention down lower because the trail is not heavily used- more so early season when it over-grows and people have not been through to stomp it down. Just before you drop to Juntion Meadow the trail goes through a really cool slot. I have waded the crossing in August (but a normal year August). It was not difficult but mid calf-deep and wide. A lot of trails could have washed out sections this year. Pay attention to your loacation at all times and do not expect a PCT-quality trail.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Jim,
I too have crossed at Junction Meadows a couple of times and the experiences were identical to those recounted. This year you may find appreciably more water volume with the heavy snow, but it should still be possible to wade through. More importantly, you may want to keep an eye on the Lion fire. I, too, am tentatively planning to go over Colby in mid-August (aiming for Kaweah Basin), but I'll re-route if the Kern basin remains as smoke-filled as it is right now. I've had enough experience breathing heavy wildfire smoke that I'm reluctant to go for a repeat. Unless there's significant rain between now and early August, I think that entire area will be seriously affected.
cg
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Here's a photo coming down the Kern Kaweah. Its well above Junction Meadow, but you can see the trail is a bit interesting here. Thats Whitney poking its head up on the upper right of the photo. you can also see the trail coming down to Junction Meadow from Whitney in the middle of the photo.

I think this is the river crossing of the Kern you are concerned with:

Here's Gallats Lake, which you will see as you descend Colby Pass.

I'll see what other photos I have of the the area.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I'll be there in mid August. The Kern crossing at Junction Meadow is usually easy. I expect you might have to wade this year rather than rock hop, but the crossing is wide enough that it will be safe even if the stream level is much higher than normal. At peak flows this might be dicey, but peak flow will have passed weeks before you get there (it may already have occurred).

Mike
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

I went over that section the first week of August 2006, which was a heavy snow year. The Kern River crossing was knee deep. After crossing, drying my feet, and putting my boots back on, I discovered that only fifty yards further was another crossing - Kern River is split at the location where the trail meets it.

I remember the Slot that is mentioned above, I wonder how much more it has eroded since I was there. And the western side of Colby pass may not be in the best shape.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

OK, here are a few more working up from Junction Meadow to Gallats Lake.
Whoever built that trail was quite creative.
And the post wouldn't be complete without a couple of gratuitous fish photos from the Kern Kaweah. Got to love these little fish. Caught and released ten of them from one little hole.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I crossed the Kern near Jct. Meadow several times on 3 different trips. It was easy. However I believe that this year in mid Aug. will be between difficult and dangerous.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Cross Country:

This area received much less snow than the northern Sierra. I believe water levels will be higher than normal here but not dangerously so. Remember, the OP is talking about tackling this crossing in about four weeks. Moreover, the crossing is upriver from Wallace Creek (e.g., it does not include Wallace Creek's flow) and is spread out (not confined to a narrow channel).

I'll find out for sure in a few weeks, as I am doing a cross country route in this area beginning Aug. 3 at Horseshoe Meadows. My crossing of the Kern at Junction Meadow will happen on Aug. 13th.

Mike