Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal Mileage

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sealog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal Mileage

Post by sealog »

Hello,
This is my first post, and I hope I did it correctly. A group of us is looking to hike from horseshoe meadows through the whitney portal using a portion of the JMT, in september. I have tried to find an accurate mileage to plan for this, but haven't really been able to figure it out. Anyone out there know this?
Thank you very much in advance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Horseshoe Meadows to Whitney Portal Mileage

Post by maverick »

Hi Sealog

Welcome to HST! http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.as ... BGS121-028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down, and all your info is on the left.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
raphus
Topix Novice

Post by raphus »

This (very nice) backpack trip should come close to 40-45 miles irrespective of the pass you use to get out of Horseshoe meadows. However, this is not really on the JMT (only a few miles...) !
For information, my preference would probably be to AVOID the Siberian Outpost during a hot summer (exposed to sun, sandy, few water) and use the Rock Creek trail, or better yet, cross the Miter Basin (Sky Blue Lake etc).
Get a map :rolleyes: and have fun !
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you do not have access to the TOPO map software (that calcluates mileage and draws elevation profiles) you can do it the old fashioned way! One way is to mark 1/10th mile markers on an index card. Maps have a scale bar on the legend - just copy this. This is a bit hard to explain, but bear with me. If the trail is straight, just measure it, where it bends, hold a pencil point on the card then pivot the index card to the next 1/10th mile marker, etc. Another way is to use a string and "follow the trail" and then measure the string with a ruler. Then count the uphill contour lines that you pass- Say you cross 30 contour lines. Look at the map legend. Say the contour interval is 40 foot per line. 30 x 40 = 1200 feet elevation gain. From a travel time standpoint, 1,000 feet elevation gain is generally equivelant to adding an hour to your day's travel time. Most people travel on the average (including short rest breaks) about 2 miles per hour on trails. So if you measure 10 miles with your string (or index card) and count 50 uphill contour lines (at 40-foot contour intervals- the typical interval for a USGS 7.5-minute map) you can estimate (10 miles x 2 mph = 5 hours) + (50 contours x 40 feet per contour = 2,000 feet at 1 hour per 1,000 feet = 2 hours for elevation gain = total 7 hours PLUS any long rest breaks or river crossings.

In general, when you go off-trail count on only an average travel rate of 1mph.

Then review the route for water sources. You need to plan your daily travel so that you can camp near water sources. I usually highlight water sources with a magic marker on my maps. I also like to visualize the map and choose campsites that have great views. Often I will go a few extra miles or stop short a few extra miles just to camp at a nice spot. Also, consider getting off the PCT trail up to a mile for camping, if you want to have solitude. A very worthwhile off-trail campsite is at Arctic Lakes. At least plan an afternoon hike up to these beautiful little lakes if you camp near Guitar Lake.

Everyone has their personal preference, but I do not like to do a big pass at the end of a day. I would rather camp near the base of the pass, and go over it in the cool of the morning and when I am fresh.
wildrose
Topix Novice

Post by wildrose »

I did Mt. Whitney from Cottonwood TH a few years ago and used this map for planning. Horseshoe Meadow is on this map.

http://www.amazon.com/Mt-Whitney-high-c ... 807&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has mileages on the map. And if you really want to have more acturate estimates, use a string (I used a piece of white cotton thread), line it along the route you want to take and mark the start and end section on your string, and measure it against the map's ruler as WD said in earlier post.
sealog
Topix Novice

Post by sealog »

This really is an awesome venue, you guys are great! What can I do to "pay back" this great information??
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

go somewhere and post a TR.. that's as simple as it gets.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

sealog wrote:This really is an awesome venue, you guys are great! What can I do to "pay back" this great information??
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D :D :D
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
sealog
Topix Novice

Re: Between the Miter Basin, and crabtree

Post by sealog »

This is Don, I put a post in a week or so ago regarding horseshoe to whitney portal. We are now doing an out and back, some of us to Whitney, some of us elsewhere, mostly in the Miter.
My question is this, to anyone who has been out there, which I have not.....actually a couple questions;
1. Is there a trail from rock creek or thereabouts that will take us to the Kern River? If so it isn't readily apparant from the topo I have (I got this through amazon with the suggestion from your forum, thank you).
2.And if so, how far is it? I find that we have about five days extra if some of us are not going to whitney.
3. If not, any suggestions about fishing and exploring around that part of the pct/jmt?
We are pretty serious hikers and capable of strenuous, but this will be a mostly fishing/peak bagging (not for me) kind of a trip.

Thanks in advance, I am finding the resource on this website extremely helpful and good quality!
Best to you
Don