Tioga Webcam Back Again

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tioga Webcam Back Again

Post by BSquared »

They started transmitting pictures again today (one very cold-looking pre-dawn picture so far). Let's hope it stays up a little longer this time! http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/
PhilB
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by PhilB »

Great to see it back. I doubt I am ever likely to get up there in winter conditions and was looking forward to watching the conditions last year. I guess it won't be long until the Tuolumne winter rangers start their weekly reports on the NPS site which will be even better if the Tioga cam pictures keep showing the conditions they are describing.

Must stop looking at Sierra related sites and get some work done.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

PhilB wrote:...was looking forward to watching the conditions last year. I guess it won't be long until the Tuolumne winter rangers start their weekly reports on the NPS site...
What's the URL for these weekly comments? Sounds like something interesting to check on...
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Instead of just getting the electronics working again, I hope they worked on ways to keep the camera from getting all covered and rimed up with snow. When they started those broadcasts as soon as storms hit the view became useless. Unlike ski area webcams, there won't be someone around to knock chunks of snow off the equipment.

Generally I like the Kirkwood streaming webcam the most of any of the Sierra setups. Good bandwidth for updating in realtime, the camera is pointed so there is an interesting middle and background, and at night a bright light illuminates the lift area pretty well.

Of course Mammoth Mtn has a rather sophisticated setup that the viewer can effect. However all that stuff just gets in the way. ...David
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

BSquared,

The reports for this winter have not started yet so I don't have an exact link. Once the rangers are up and running in previous winters there has been link to the reports on the Yosemite current conditions page at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

There is an end of season report by the rangers from a couple of years ago about the wildlife they saw that winter. This has way more information than the weekly reports and is in the 'Nature Notes' section of the Yosemite Association site at http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/TuolumneWinter.htm
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I hope it stays up longer this year than last year. I love looking through the eyes of that thing. Maybe some day this winter I'll be on the other side looking in :nod:
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Tioga Webcam Back Again

Post by rlown »

This seemed like the appropriate place to post this, as that webcam is pretty much like the phoenix.. Anyway:
We expect the camera to return to operation late this summer (2011).

We have received funding from the Dave Peterson Memorial Fund to replace the camera and equipment that was damaged by a lightning strike. The new camera and supporting equipment is scheduled to be replaced this summer.
Thank you for your interest and please check here for the latest updates!

Still at: http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe a lightning rod this time, folks??
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Tioga Webcam Back Again

Post by rlown »

So.. The Tioga pass webcam is half-way back.. :\ http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They updated their page to show Soda Springs Meadow near Devils Postpile, and apparently haven't received permission from Yose to use the new satellite link service rolled out in the park as the phone lines are now defunct. Sounds like some of us might make a few calls to see if we can get that moving forward. Doubtful this late in the season that the TP webcam is gonna come back on-line this winter.