Robinson Creek Trailhead to Benson Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ursula
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Robinson Creek Trailhead to Benson Lake

Post by Ursula »

I have a trip planned from August 1-8 starting at Robinson Creek Trailhead (Twin Lakes near Bridgeport) going up to Peeler Lake then over Seavy Pass to Benson Lake and continuing South along the PCT exiting at Tuolumne Meadows. Has anyone been this way in the past couple of days who can clue me in to the snow pack at present. I realize my hike is still 2 weeks away and that more melting will take place but I am wondering what the trail is currently like. Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Robinson Creek Trailhead to Benson Lake

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The PCT journals have quite a bit of information on this area. Some are still going through this route right now. The front runners who went through this area in the last few weeks have harrowing reports! But, conditions are changing, so just look at the ones going now. Google PCT journals and there are several websites. It is a bit tedious, because you have to go through many journals of people who have quit the trail. But soon you will figure out who is still going so write down these guy's trail names and just keep up with them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST Ursula!
As WD says your best info will be from PCTer's going thru this area: http://www.pcta.org/planning/after_trip/journals/#2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Kris
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kris »

I was up at Peeler Lake 8 days ago. My apologies for not having submitted a report. I often times don't have access to the internet for extended periods while im off working. I haven't seen any other reports mentioned that are more recent than this so I hope it helps. The snow is obviously melting fast so this will be slight outdated. From Twin Lakes up to the last 1/8 mile of Peeler is snow free on the trail. Some intermittent snow/route finding after that and solid snow up the last 100 yards to the lake (along the outlet). Peeler was 95% iced over with the outlet, a small center area, and some shoreline being free. Intention was to hike into Kerrick Meadows the following day to explore but saw little camping on the Western shore of Peeler, and a good amount of snow everywhere in general, so we proceded to hike back out the following morning. We headed up to Virginia Lakes to car camp, and dayhiked up to Blue and Frog for some fun. Frog being 800-900 ft higher than Peeler was completely ice free. Virginia Canyon really frees up sooner than others nearby. Just how much so was a suprise to me. Our third day we went to Vernal and Nevada Falls in Yosemite from the Valley. I hope some of the info regarding Peeler helped. I know its clearing fast but at the time I couldn't help but think that Peeler was going to be mostly under ice for atleast another 2 weeks.
~We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time.

T.S. Eliot
Ursula
Topix Newbie

Post by Ursula »

Thanks for the posts and info. We are thru hikers of the PCT from many years ago so are familiar with the PCTA website and info there. Unfortunately, their trail conditions are not nearly as updated as this web site so I am thankful you guys are here!

Knowing that the trail is almost snow free up to Peeler about a week ago helps a lot! I am guessing that the snow has melted a fair amount since then. Living in Tahoe and watching the daily melt back in Desolation also gives me an idea of how it will be in 2 weeks. Thanks again. Really looking forward to our trip, snow or not.

Will post the results of our trip and conditions which hopefully will be mostly snow free along the trail by the time we are done. I guess the stream crossings will be more of a concern.

Thanks again!