2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES

Post by mshields »

Doyle,

Thank you for your post/pictures on the itinerary from Shadow Lake to 1,000 Island Lake; they are much appreciated. This is my first post, but I have been an active viewer on HST for the last couple years. I have plans for what I thought would be a leisurely trip (July 19th-23rd) from TM to Agnew Meadows via the JMT and Shadow Lake trail. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this trip and whether it would be a good idea to embark on it? Did you run into any other hikers on your itinerary who had come from the TM direction ? Any other members input would be appreciated.

Thanks
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

mshields wrote: I have plans for what I thought would be a leisurely trip (July 19th-23rd) from TM to Agnew Meadows via the JMT and Shadow Lake trail....Did you run into any other hikers on your itinerary who had come from the TM direction ?
I met a JMT hiker on "Garnet Pass", and he said it was all snow from Lyle Canyon to 1,000 Island Lake (10K IL). In a weeks time it may be improved but I would still expect a lot of snow. By the time you got to 10K IL, you can decide if you want to take the JMT or the River Trail (or the PCT High Trail) to Agnew or not. We came back along the River Trail (from Badger Lake) and it was quite something with all of the raging waters. There are some major falls I have never heard about, and some very nice camp sites. You could always pop up to snow-free Shadow Lake from River Trail.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Loon Lake Trail to Rockbound Lake 7/9-7/10

Post by FeetFirst »

EGBill wrote:Route taken: Loon Lake trail to Rockbound Lake

Difficult section encountered: A few trees down on the trail along side Loon Lake, after that no problems. Snow Free. Buck Island Lake and Rockbound Lake were full to the brim with water!!

Special equipment needed/used: None

Possible alternative routes: None
Thank you. Were you able to park at the TH parking lot? With the campground being closed, I was concerned that the gates would be locked. Also, I got a "hmm...that's a good question," when I called the Pacific RD HQ.

Did the trail to Rubicon Reservoir appear to be snow free as well? Thanks.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
EGBill
Topix Novice

Re: Loon Lake Trail to Rockbound Lake 7/9-7/10

Post by EGBill »

FeetFirst wrote:
EGBill wrote:Route taken: Loon Lake trail to Rockbound Lake

Difficult section encountered: A few trees down on the trail along side Loon Lake, after that no problems. Snow Free. Buck Island Lake and Rockbound Lake were full to the brim with water!!

Special equipment needed/used: None

Possible alternative routes: None
Thank you. Were you able to park at the TH parking lot? With the campground being closed, I was concerned that the gates would be locked. Also, I got a "hmm...that's a good question," when I called the Pacific RD HQ.

Did the trail to Rubicon Reservoir appear to be snow free as well? Thanks.
We parked at the Boat Dock Parking lot ($7) as they were still cleaning up the campgrounds. The camp host is there for collecting day/overnight fees for the Boat Dock area.

There was no snow around Rockbound at all. I didn't see for certain that there wasn't snow at Rubicon Reservoir, but as warm as it was, I don't think so. I didn't see much snow and the only snow I saw was up on the north facing peaks way above the trail. But there was a LOT of water in the lakes... :D
raphus
Topix Novice

Cottonwood pass to Whitney portal 7/9-11/2011

Post by raphus »

Route taken:
Horseshow meadow / Cottonwood pass / Siberian oupost / Rock Creek / Crabtree meadow / Guitar Lake / Mt Whitney / Whitney Portal

Difficult section encountered:
Snow has almost completely melted until Guitar Lake (and mosquitoes are still relatively quiet).
Small snow fields on both the western (above Guitar Lake) and eastern (above Trail Camp) switchbacks to Trail Crest / Mt Whitney, but they can be crossed with just boots/poles.
Lower Rock Creek crossing is swift in the evening, but there's convenient logs just upstream the trail.

Special equipment needed/used:
We used microspikes on the hard morning snow traverse (very handy but not required).
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice

Post by Coolbreeze »

NPS Trail Conditions page has been updated:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/t ... UMP_115626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
papercup
Topix Acquainted

Post by papercup »

Here are two photos-- one is of the snow covering the use trail just below the top of Old Army Pass, the other is of the cornice at the edge of New Army Pass, both taken on 7/8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Thanks for the pics Papercup. I'm hoping Army melts out a bit more in the next 10 days.
hiker00
Topix Novice

Post by hiker00 »

mschnaidt wrote:Thanks for the pics Papercup. I'm hoping Army melts out a bit more in the next 10 days.
Yes Thank you for the pics!

I am hoping for the same...hitting the trail on the 25th and don't want to change my plans but will if the snow does not clear on the New Army Pass.
mp88
Topix Novice

Post by mp88 »

Great information & awesome photos, I have been section hiking the PCT for a couple of years now and the time is almost here for my Sierra section (Kearsarge Pass to Reds Meadow) starting 8/10/11. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread and the skeeter report because it looks like it’s a mess out there right now (snow, bugs, high water, etc..). Happy trails and safe travels this summer to all you intrepid human beings not sitting on the couch in front of the TV.