Campground near Roads End

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Campground near Roads End

Post by Satsuma »

We are going to make Roads End loop in August, already got our permit reservations for 5 people. The questiion - is there a possibility to spend a night before we get our real permits in the morning and start? Is there anything always available for backpackers or should we find and reserve a campground somewhere at distance. We never started from there, and I know trailheads at Roads End are very busy.

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Campground near Roads End

Post by maverick »

Hi Satsuma

Canyon View, Moraine, Sentinel, and Sheep Creek all are near Cedar Grove, and
all are $18 a night.
This SEKI NPS site will give all the campgrounds with further info.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/camp_alpha.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Satsuma
Topix Acquainted

Post by Satsuma »

Thanks a lot, maverick.

Are chances good to find a spot if we arrive like 7pm on Aug, 10 (Wednesday)?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I don't think you'll have any problem, especially on a weekday. I've been in Sentinel on a weekday in August twice and it wasn't full and there were lots of sights in Moraine. Moraine would be my first choice. One warning: the bears are rather bold so put eveything in the bear box.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

But see Maverick's other post about closures of other campgrounds in SEKI that week. People are being diverted to Moraine. That means the Kings Canyon campgrounds (all walk-in) may be much fuller than normal. Have you thought about trying to reserve at Hume Lake instead? The drive to the trailhead isn't too bad from there.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

if those four near roads end are full i recall seeing one called convict flat around yucca point. much closer to your trailhead than hume. not sure which jurisdiction it falls under, forest, park, monument...

eric
fresno, ca.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Convict Flat is a NF campground. A good bit of the road going into Kings Canyon is in NF - so you will see fire rings in pullouts along the way, because people can camp in pullouts. Not in the park, mind you, just in the NF.