Emigrant wilderness ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Emigrant wilderness ?

Post by justm »

Has anybody made it back to Buck lakes or Huckleberry lake in the Emigrant wilderness? If so, how is it crossing the west fork of Cherry creek ? I know it can be tricky during high run off. Thanks
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Emigrant wilderness ?

Post by balzaccom »

I flew over that area last weekend. Huckelberry was still frozen over, as were Deer lake, Wire Lakes. etc.

A lot of snow there. Sadly, I couldn't see Cherry Creek well enough to know what it's like....but i can guess!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Pork50 is supposed to be there with his dad this week. I'd watch for a post if, er, when he makes it back..
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

thanks for the info!
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfelectron »

There is a TR over at backpackinglight.....http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=50483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Cherry running very high as it always is early season. Solo hiker decided not to ford it as he estimated it was mid-chest to shoulder deep. I'd suggest entering via Kennedy Meadows and hiking south and avoid major forks of Cherry or Summit creeks if possible.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I just returned from 3 nights in Emigrant. We were able to cross Cherry Creek easily across some log jams about half a mile downriver from where the main trail crosses the creek. It appeared someone had added a duck next to the crossing when we returned the same way yesterday. I'd suggest crossing as early in the day as possible.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
AK26
Topix Novice

Post by AK26 »

I'm planning to head up to Emigrant Wilderness out of Crabtree this Thursday for a 3 night backpacking trip also. How far did you end up going after crossing Cherry Creek. Did you get to Deer or Buck Lake? Are they frozen over? I'm trying to figure out how much snow is up there and if i should bring my fishing gear so I can plan accordingly. Any advice would be appreciated... Thanks.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I backpacked out of Crabtree for an overnighter last weekend. We had hoped to make it across Cherry but people we passed on the trail were saying it was chest high by afternoon. Since we wouldn't get there until about 1 pm we decided to take the trail up towards Bear and camp up the creek a bit (away from the crowds). Not the long hike we were intending but it was nice to get out.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I will try and post a full TR later today—playing catch-up with work right now.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
AK26
Topix Novice

Post by AK26 »

Thanks Carne_DelMuerto.

That would save me alot of stress on whether to head out in that direction. If it's too dangerous, I would rather plan out a different route.

Do you guys have any suggestions on another 3 night backpacking trip in Emigrant or Carson-Iceberg Wilderness good for fishing without dangerous river crossings... preferably a loop? I have been looking foward to this trip with my buddies since April, and it looks like I will have to plan another way...