2011 Skeeter Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
jallen
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: 2011 Skeeter Reports

Post by jallen »

richlong8, forgive the ignorance. I've ben there many times but only by 4x4. I should have made the connection since I've crossed the PCT there many times as well.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by richlong8 »

Jallen, its not necessary to ask for forgiveness- we are all here to contribute and make this is a good, informative board. I am going to be doing a trip report sometime soon on the Monanche trip. It will probably be in the Fishing Hole. We just try and leave posts here for skeeter conditions in the areas that we travel.

regards, richard
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well its time to bring along the serious gear folks. Am expecting bad reports are suddenly going to explode for those at 7k to 10k. And I don't expect like any amateurs to be one whining about getting hounded and bitten all over.

long tight weave nylon pants
long sleeve tight nylon weave shell
cap with full neck drape
both 50% and 100% DEET
head net for camp leisure
tent

large clear 1.5mil plastic bag to stand up inside and take our daily dunk in a stream or lake in peace or walking about at night to take a leak in peace

take a dip late in the day so one won't exude the sweaty stink that attacks them

powerful headlamp to make sure any flying draculas that gets into my tent at night won't be able to hide from my squishing hand grabs
papercup
Topix Acquainted

Post by papercup »

Horseshoe Meadows: 3 or 4

Siberian Outpost, Chicken Spring Lake, Soldier Lakes: 2

Anything higher than those-- not a problem
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Funny how different perceptions can be. We were in the same area as Papercup last week and thought Horseshoe Meadows was about the same at 3-4, Chicken Spring Lake was ok until late afternoon and then went to a 6-7 and Soldier Lake was about 5-6.
Semper Fi!
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

GunnyJC wrote:Funny how different perceptions can be. We were in the same area as Papercup last week and thought Horseshoe Meadows was about the same at 3-4, Chicken Spring Lake was ok until late afternoon and then went to a 6-7 and Soldier Lake was about 5-6.
Remember its a 5 point scale. That definitely accounts for some different perceptions.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Kearsarge; Rae Lakes

Post by quentinc »

Not much mosquito activity above 10,500. Rae Lakes had some at 2 p.m. though, which seemed ominous. Will probably be bad by next weekend. Arrowhead Lake (10,300) was bad by late afternoon. None in 60 Lakes Basin, which will be a mosquito mecca in a few weeks.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Minarets July 9 - 12

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

From the lowest point below Agnew Meadow on the river to 10,000 feet, mosquitoes were 2 or less, and mostly absent, even when camped near a wet swampy area. That is bound to change.
(Lets remember the scale is from 1 to 5.)
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

markskor wrote:
mosquito 011.jpg
Post your reports here...
"The scale from previous years has worked out perfectly, so guess we'll keep on using it:"
1 - No mosquitos or there are some, but not biting yet
2 - Very light during the day, moderate at dawn and dusk
3 - Moderate during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
4 - Heavy during the day, heavy at dawn and dusk
5 - Unbearable all day, no breaks, cannot eat outside of tent. If you stop, hundreds
will land on you; when looking thru a camera viewfinder, you see more skeeters than
lake. If you slapped your arm, you'd smear blood from all the dead gorged bodies.

:thumbsup: great drawing!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Big Pine lakes area is a 2 as of July 13th.