Tortilla meals

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tortilla meals

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Anyone have a good suggestion for a one-pot meal that can easily be spooned and served on a tortilla? I usually make refritos and will be using a Mountain House meal this trip, but need one more option. I've tried chicken and rice (too wet) and garlic couscous with salami (too dry). I don't need anything fancy. Thanks!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Tortilla meals

Post by freestone »

I do Cup-O-Soup chili and beans and thicken with couscous. Its a matter of trial and error to get the right thickness to meet your taste. I use this method in a cozy. I am assuming it is a flour tortilla and you are making a burrito. I keep mine wet and pour it on tortilla chips. The chips soak up the moisture and reconstitute to a soft tortilla. The chips are loaded with oil and salt so there is more caloric bang per ounce. I add my home grown Serrano chilies for added amperage. I also mix and match the Cup -O-Soup offerings for better variety.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm. tortilla trout wraps.. but that requires two pans.. one to warm the tortillas and the other to mix the trout, spices, mushrooms and rice for the filling..
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

I warm the tortillas by putting them on top of whatever I am cooking.

Carne...

Almost anything that cooks in a pot or bag can be spooned into a tortilla. I really like szechuan tacos!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
branuss04
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by branuss04 »

Last year I tried two new tortilla meals, chicken quesadilla and pizza.

CHICKEN QUESADILLA:
-Tortilla
-String cheese
-Chicken in foil bag
-Salsa packets
-Tortilla
(Heat with a little oil in pan, turn and eat)

PIZZA:
-Tortilla
-Salami or Pepperoni
-String Cheese
-Marinara packets
-Tortilla
(Heat with a little oil in pan, turn and eat)

Most ingredients were used for other meals, Both turned out really good, especially for some trail grub!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The chicken quesadilla sounds good and I already bring foiled chicken and tortillas. I think I'll modify it to brown the chicken, throw it in a tortilla along with the string cheese, roll it up and heat it until the cheese starts to melt, then add hot sauce as it's eaten. Yum.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

If too thin for wraps...add a little instant powdered mashed potatoes (single serving packages - $1.00) to anything.
Mountainman who swims with trout
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I've used the Ramen & instant mash mix for tortillas and also Ride Sides. If I am on a short trip I really like to get some sort of Rice Side (the brand) and then mix in some meat and put it into a tortilla with allot of cheese. Mmmm.

My dad got a Mountain House meal that was just taco meat. It was very tasty.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If too thin for wraps...add a little instant powdered mashed potatoes (single serving packages - $1.00) to anything.
Hmmmm, reconstitute some dried veggies and you got chicken pot pie wraps. Just choose your sauce
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Nice ideas, all. Thanks!

branuss04, I'm going to steal those two recipes for the next trip. I assume you use the the small packaged string cheese sticks? Any issue with those going bad after a few days?

I'm thinking that for a 7 day trip, I probably can count on having tortillas for the first 3-4 days, but after that they could start molding. I recall one year we had mold after just 2 nights, but that might have just been bad luck.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.