Cook pot cozy

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Cook pot cozy

Post by balzaccom »

Since my wife is a chef, she is always looking for ways to keep our freeze dried dinners warm while they re-hydrate. We don't want to use gas to keep them bubbling, but we also don't want to them get cold. We've used towels, fleece....but I finally created this masterpiece out of some old foam sleeping mat scraps. And it works way better than anything else we've tried!

The outer ring is held in place by pushing the pot up against a stone or log...and when not it use, it can also serve as a seat cushion or pillow.

And no, I don't have plans. If you need them, this project is not for you!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Cook pot cozy

Post by gary c. »

Nice job, it looks way more effective than my stocking cap.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Been using a similar set up as a pot cozy for several years now and can second your experience balzaccom. For one-pot meals where one needs to rehydrate, a cozy like this works like a charm.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have also been using cozys for several seasons now. I make my own out of a reflective material I purchase at the hardware store to fit my bowl. I do not think this method would work with freeze dried meals such as Mountain House but great for Cup-o-Soups, Couscous, refried beans and instant mashed potatoes. I use Cup-O-Soup as a base then add oven dried tri tip, dehydrated soft veggies such as squash, and couscous. The advantage of this technique is low fuel consumption and easy clean up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien