Another Way- Emigrant Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
pork50
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Another Way- Emigrant Wilderness

Post by pork50 »

Like the thread above about planning a trip on July 9th, I too made that fault. we were to start at Crabtree campsite and fininsh at Bell Meadows, going on a loop to emigrant lake, around huckleberry, and back to the trailhead. The parking lot may be filled with snow by the time we are up there. Any other routes in the Emigrant Wilderness with parking that isnt filled with snow? We are going for nights.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: Another Way- Emigrant Wilderness

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Well the lower parking lot near Crabtree, Bell Meadows is available, though I bet both are snow free now. There is always Kennedy Meadows, no parking problems there. Shingle Springs out of Cherry Lake is snow free, though the last mile is a bit rough. Leavett Meadows could be interesting, plenty of snow free parking. There are other minor entry points...
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

Alright. So you think crabtree should be snowfree by now? hiking in the snow a little is fine, but we need to be able to park there.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Pork, you could just park on the side of the road as far as you can drive and hike the rest of the road to the TH. Here's a group that went in there a week ago:

http://www.meetup.com/the-other-origina ... /23198031/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No real trail report, but there are some photos and a GPS track file link a post at the bottom.

Edit: found a brief TR
http://www.meetup.com/the-other-origina ... d/12955991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

Alright, the snow hopefully at crabtree is lessened. We also might go near kennedy meadows as a backup. Any suggestions on a 7 day loop up there?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Seven days worth of backpacking from Kennedy Meadows is going to involve lots of snow if you go above 9,000 feet. As of 4th July weekend, the road to Crabtree TH is still closed. There are big river crossings going in Crabtree, but I am bad at river crossings, so may be overstating this. The east side of the Sierra is melting out faster- I would do something from the east, the farther south the better.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

All the way to Huckleberry in all that snow? Better hope for snow bridges on the big streams. Likely mostly frozen or mostly frozen lakes too so little incentive for any fishermen.
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

I hope huckleberry, Emigrant, and Buck lakes arent frozen, those are the biggest ones along my route, and the deepest. The rivers in meadows and flatter parts should be good fishing. We decided to go that route no matter what, we will just pack warmer clothes. Will for sure have a TR. :D
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Your choice lakes will probably be unfrozen due to orientation and altitude. Getting there will be another matter. I remember heinous creek/river crossings from a trip in '82 or '83 in August. If it looks bad, either search for a safer spot to cross, or just turn around.

If there is still snow on the ground, cover up, and protect your eyes. Snowburn/Sunburn is no fun.
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

We are strongly considering taking a route from kennedy meadows to kenendy lake around to relief reservoir. There is no snow to kennedy lake, and the route contains less creek crossings.