SEKI NPS "Emergency Locator Device Advisory"

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI NPS "Emergency Locator Device Advisory"

Post by maverick »

For those of you who carry SPOT, PLB, or other emergency devices.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/l ... eID=364951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
obxcola
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI NPS "Emergency Locator Device Advisory"

Post by obxcola »

A friend lent me "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm. It is humbling to get the perspective from the Search and Rescue side of the fence.

Makes you think twice or 3 times.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

I think that memo is good advice but changes nothing. No consequence for stupid, unnecessary use.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Old Ranger wrote " No consequence for stupid, unnecessary use."

Agree 100%!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Maybe George finally got published: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5103&p=31511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote "Maybe George finally got published."

Yeah that's cool, but they need to implement heavy fines or have the person/persons
pay for the SAR's related costs, otherwise there will be no changes, if folks continue to
use these services frivolously.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

guess we don't know how frivolously buttons are pressed.. yet to see a report on it, but I've seen a SAR chopper in the air every other year on my trips. Pressing the Help button can also send someone at home into a panic, causing a response. SOS is more clear.