Help, 30 mile loop, no snow, nor cal, not on the coast?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Help, 30 mile loop, no snow, nor cal, not on the coast?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The Bay Area is crowded and getting permits for weekends can be difficult. Henry Coe is technically NOT a "coast" area and I think it is more than 150 miles from Chico. I personally think Henry Coe is great. Point Reyes is really good for beginners and has numerous good loops, but is hard to get permits. Have you thought about trails that go up the Yuba River. I have not personally done a lot on these, but the few miles I did, the trails seemed to be well maintained. You may not be able to do a loop but with a group, you could park a car at each end. There is also the Western States trial on the American River. I have just day hiked sections and again, it would be a one-way with parking cars on each end. Feather Falls area - although I heard the bridge washed out.
lanceduffy
Topix Novice

Post by lanceduffy »

From what I've read it seems like I can only camp in two spots in Ohlone. This won't work for me. This intro backpacking is teaching intensive with low daily mileage.

The Yuba is interesting. I am not familiar with any trails in that area but that may be because I have not thought to look.

To address peoples weekend permit concerns, this will be a mid week trip. Thanks again for all the help!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The Ohlone Trail is 28 miles long, I believe there was 5 back country campsites,
and they are well dispersed along the trail.
Murietta Falls, Rose Peak to me are some of the best highlights of the trail.
Henry Coe to me is prettier, and less populated, but more rugged.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

lanceduffy wrote:From what I've read it seems like I can only camp in two spots in Ohlone. This won't work for me. This intro backpacking is teaching intensive with low daily mileage.
I count Boyd Camp, just a couple of miles from Del Valle parking area. Stewart camp, near Murietta Falls in Del Valle. Maggie's Half Acre on the back side of Rose Peak. Sunol backpack camp. Eagle Spring on the back of Mission Peak. That's five.
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

How about the Yolla Bolly Wilderness area? Still too snowy maybe?
lanceduffy
Topix Novice

Post by lanceduffy »

Thanks to all for your help. I have settled on Point Reyes. Its 200 miles from Chico and fits the bill. I'm not too excited about the improved backcountry camping but life is about compromises right?

If anyone knows any special destinations or hidden gems in Point Reyes please let me know. I promise if you tell me your secret spots here only the entire internet will know :)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just take the time to do all the small side trips to various beaches and lakes. If you are at Wildcat, walk the beach south to Alemere Falls. Go out onto Arch Rock. Wherever there is trail access to the beach, do it. The Coast Trail is the most scenic, even if it is a bit longer between points.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lanceduffy wrote "If anyone knows any special destinations or hidden gems in Point
Reyes please let me know."

I think the best trail in the PRNS is the Coast Trail.
It is best to do this from north to south starting from the Point Reyes Hostel.
It is a 15 mile, one way hike, and be prepared for any weather, calm, foggy, windy
and sunny from one day to the next.
Park a second car at the Palomarin Trailhead.
Your first night can be at Coast Camp, which is all but 2.8 miles in.
The next day you'll be hiking to Wildcat Camp (7 miles), and Sculptured Beach on the
way is the highlight on this section, and you should make sure you spend some time here.
The next day you'll be hiking about 5.5 miles back to the car, and get a chance to
visit the highlight in PRNS, Alamere Falls.
It is a beautiful waterfall that tumbles 40 feet onto the beach below, and if the water
levels are high it can be spectacular!
Please write up a TR for us in the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section when you
get back.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Too late for the trip request but here are some photos from a dayhike to North Yolla Bolly Mt. on 06/25/2011. This day was mild, but days have since been very warm. There was snow on north-facing slopes starting about 6500 ft. This trail was above any major stream crossings, but feeder streams were running full.
https://picasaweb.google.com/willjrob/N ... directlink