Good Affordable Digital Camera

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Good Affordable Digital Camera

Post by rlown »

I have 5 bats for my olympus. all numbered. all charged before a trip. i use them as a cycle when they finally die. These batteries weigh .75 oz so, i'm not seeing the problem with carrying lots, esp when it's cold. my AA and AAA are heavier for the other stuff.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

The thing is, if you can find an AA powered camera (Canon used to make some good ones), you don't have to fool with multiple sets or with a solar charger. One set of four "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" batteries will last you over 2,000 shots and they do not degrade in cold weather. They are also very light in weight. I take along a spare set, but have never had to use it, except last year when my bro hijacked my camera when his DSLR broke -- he and I then proceeded to take almost 5,000 shots on two sets of batteries. That second set is still in the camera (a Canon A620), still going strong. I used it last night at my son's high school graduation. These batteries may not be the most eco-friendly (they are disposable, not rechargeable), but they are the cats meow if you are a long distance hiker. (Don't buy the "Energizer Advanced Lithium" batteries -- they cost less but provide half the energy.)

Mike
Last edited by Mike M. on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

I paid 1200 for my nikon D70 dslr yrs ago.
I just bought a second one hardly used-new cond. for 300$ on ebay.What a steal!And thats the avg price now.
Would i rather own a great dslr for 300 or a flimsy ps for 300 or 200 or 100 etc?A dslr handsdown.
A d70 blows away any PS im sure.But it is not light.Has an 18-70 lens.Easy to use ,easy interface.
For me photography on my travels is extremely important.
Some of the hi end ps like G1 or lumix are good but 900$ is crazy for ps. but if you can afford it go for it-i think that is much better than throwing away 200 on a cheap ps.
A dslr is a real camera and for pictures i place too much importance to rely on a ps.A ps also limits the type of shots(wide angle or tele) and quality. A ps is great for parties and city use but for travel they sacrifice too much for me.I would never want the documentation of my expensive travels to be limited by a cheap camera.If i could afford one of those G1 or whatever i would try it out.

If i dont want to lug around a dslr i would use a phone cam.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

I got an Easy Share Z981 from Kodak. 14.1 MP, 26x optical zoom. A decent P n S.

Flower by pork50, on Flickr

Flower3 by pork50, on Flickr

Flower2 by pork50, on Flickr

Sage by pork50, on Flickr
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice shots, Pork.. I think that last one is actually lavender. Almost like you and I have the same landscape.. :)
pork50
Topix Acquainted

Post by pork50 »

Yeah I was meaning to change the filename of the image, my dad later corrected me, being a landscaper. :nod:
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix LX-5 this year, and I am quite happy with the camera. One nice feature- you can buy the optional "extender", and have the ability to use a polarizing, or neutral density filter. Nice wide angle, zoom is limited though, sensor is bigger than average, and it takes pretty good movies.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Mike M. wrote:. A few years back the market was full of good P&S cameras that used AA batteries, with much better battery life. No longer. There are a few AA driven cameras still out there, but not many -- you have to look pretty hard to find them.
I have an older Canon that takes AA batteries. The lens has scratches, which is why i'm looking to buy a new camera (thinking of a S95). Should I maybe think of getting the lens replaced? What might that cost?