High Water Reminder

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

High Water Reminder

Post by maverick »

Don't underestimate the force of even shallow water.
Be careful out there.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by maverick on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: High Water Reminder

Post by rlown »

Sad really.. Should have waited for the water to recede. No time to be Macho out there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Russ, some folks just plain underestimate the force of water, even if very shallow
it has the force to knock you off you feet.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Also see this (more and updated information on the tragedy): http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1K5EGL.DTL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maverick wrote:Russ, some folks just plain underestimate the force of water, even if very shallow
it has the force to knock you off you feet.
Yeah.. even us lowly abalone divers have to remember from time to time.. You're all in and if a wave hits you it's heinous. Same smell. If it' looks bad, do not attempt.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What is up with the Park Spokesperson saying "they could have taken an alternate
route, which would have added a couple of miles".
19 miles is not a couple of miles, but I guess they are covering there tails, though with
with that statement they aren't being very sensitive.

DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

makes me feel a wee better about not crossing the big pine south fork creek where the bridge was destroyed.Only 6ft wide but close to raging and murky with submerged boulders.Still feel like a wuss though.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

DAVELA wrote:makes me feel a wee better about not crossing the big pine south fork creek where the bridge was destroyed.Only 6ft wide but close to raging and murky with submerged boulders.Still feel like a wuss though.
Better to be an alive wuss then a dead one..
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I lost a friend last weekend to the Kern. He was not much of an outdoorsman but he still should have known better than to get in the Kern with flows the way they are. He was alone so no one will ever know just how it happened but it looks like there was a small eddie behind some boulders right next to his campsite. It is assumed that he thought he could take a quick dip and get out but instead he somehow got sucked into the current. A group of us all friends of his drove by on Friday headed for the backcountry for a hike and saw the SAR team but never knew they were looking for our friend until we got home on Sunday. RIP Arnie
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

How sad for the loss of life at the bridge crossing. I haven't been there, so I googled an image of the thing, I can just imagine the blunt force of the water shooting across the walkway. Makes it even more horrific for the survivors who witnessed the tragedy unfold before their eyes.

And Gary, my condolences for the loss of your friend. Highway 178 is my path to the east side of the Sierra and I have lost count of how many SAR efforts I've seen. It's really a hidden killer and I can only imagine how much water must be coming down the hill at this time.