Hockett Meadows report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hockett Meadows report

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I don't know if this qualifies as a true trail report as I did not take this hike, but am relaying information from my brother-in-law. He just returned from a four night trip up to the Hockett Meadows area.

Starting from Atwell Mill, they climbed the trail up and over into the Horse Creek drainage. They encountered snow above 8000 feet around Horse Creek and the last bit of trail on the north slope before it drops down into the meadows. Horse Creek was not tough to cross—they waded up to the knee. The meadows are snow free, but about half flooded. Many little rivulets are full and winding through the meadow—they are full of brookies.

He said there were no skeeters to speak of. The ranger station was not manned yet and they only encountered one other group (of 8) during the trip. Other than dealing with some out-of-shape guys on his crew, he said the trip was great.

I know this isn't quite the high country we all crave, but I thought someone might find this info useful.
272922_2220919488688_1418723316_2603795_175047_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Re: Hockett Meadows report

Post by iHartMK »

Nice, thanks man! I love that area.
Living On Kaweah Time
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

Hockett Meadows is one of the earliest historical trails across the High Sierra. Their are many accounts in many different documents that describe the founding of the route and its purposes.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

East Side Hiker wrote:Hockett Meadows is one of the earliest historical trails across the High Sierra. Their are many accounts in many different documents that describe the founding of the route and its purposes.
For Example (see below).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Clarence King took the Hockett trail in his 1864 (unsuccessful) attempt to climb Whitney.