Tableland trip report + photos

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tableland trip report + photos

Post by copeg »

Did a solo trip up to Pear Lake and Tableland this last weekend. Got an early start from home on friday to reach the trailhead at Wolverton around 10AM. Fog was lingering all the way up to Pear Lake, where I finally got some constant sun. There was snow along the trail, and the dusting from the night before was melting from the trees, so much so that I had to put on my poncho to stay dry. I climbed up to Table Meadows and beyond, intending to camp on tableland, but the wind kicked up fiercly and forced my to find a more sheltered sight below Table Meadows. Was a cold night (my thermometer read around 15, with the wind gusting 20-30). The next morning I dayhiked up to the crest. Not too much snow, but a lot of ice. Views were amazing up there. Didn't see a soul from the start of the trip up till I made it back down to Pear lake Saturday afternoon. Lost the sun at 2:30pm but it was much warmer at Pear Lake, dipping just below freezing. The sunset was spectacular. Hiked out early sunday morning.

photos:

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~cope/photo/tableland.html
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Great pics! It's been crazy warm up here the last few days.
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Super fantastic pics!
A really neat looking area, I've been interested in checking it out sometime. Maybe next year. Whats the fishing(fly) like in that area? Anyone know?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Indeed great photos. Hard to imagine Brewer and surrounding peaks remain snow free still?

I once did a dayhike/loop from Wolverton to Alta, down to Pear lake and back. Ever since I've been wanting to explore the Tablelands. Now I'll have to put it on "the list" for spring or summer.

Your photos of Pear lake also remind me of a brisk, ah, sorta unplanned swim in the lake - clothes, baclpack and all :retard:
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Great photos and trip report. Sounds like the scenery and solitude under a near full moon made up for the cold temps.
wingding

Post by wingding »

That is a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice reflections and alpenglow! Beautiful campsite!

Shawn wrote:
Your photos of Pear lake also remind me of a brisk, ah, sorta unplanned swim in the lake - clothes, baclpack and all :retard:
Sounds cold! :eek:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

"Sounds cold! "

Yeah, it sure took my mind off of any other ailments that day. Makes for great memories tho :)