Which place to camp the first night to prevent AMS?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Which place to camp the first night to prevent AMS?

Post by GunnyJC »

Langley is on the to do list but not until day 4 or 5. Thanks for all the great info and it just confirms my original plan. I will be sure to follow up with a trip report when we return. I found this site to have some of the friendliest and helpful people on the internet...thanks for your helpful suggestions and making me feel welcome here.

Gunny
Semper Fi!
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Gunny: A strategy that works for a lot of Whitney vets is to stay at the Portal, but hike to Lone Pine Lake (10000+) and return (5+ mi) the first day. this really kick starts the acclimatization process, and gives better rest at night. to use this climb high sleep low strategy at Horseshoe, you would have to climb to 11000 or so the first day, which is really pushing into AMS territory. If you only have the one day, I would do it at the Portal with the LPL hike. This works fine for Whitney at 14500, and should be more than adequate for Cottonwood, which is only 11200 before the drop into the basin. Besides, you can't get a Portal pancake at Horseshoe.

Oh, yeah: you do not need a permit for a day hike to LPL.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Altitude sickness does make a matter. I've seen and "rescued" many victims. If you get to Horseshoe Meadow, go slowly, stay there for a day -there's a lot to explore there. Even going from Las Vegas to 10,000' too quickly could result in someone getting altitude sickness, but at least you'd be at the trailhead.

You could camp in the Alabama Hills the first night, but its only around 4,000' +.