SEKI NPS updates as of 6/27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI NPS updates as of 6/27

Post by maverick »

A few area's have been updated as of 6/27, like Evolution Creek, Kearsarge Pass
Budd's Creek, and trails in the Lodgepole/Wolverton area's.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by maverick on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added text
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Re: SEKI NPS updates as of 6/27

Post by windknot »

Thanks for linking this, Maverick. I saw the recent updates yesterday hoping to get information on the thaw for lakes in the Lodgepole area. Not the info I was hoping for, but I'm glad it's updated.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

Wow, what a crazy summer it is going to be.. I can't wait to get up there.
Living On Kaweah Time
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Thanks, very handy link. I wonder what the alternative to crossing Evolution Creek is (crossing further upstream?). I also wonder just how much they err on the side of the caution (aka exaggerate) as to the ice axe required reports.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q wrote "I also wonder just how much they err on the side of the caution
(aka exaggerate) as to the ice axe required reports."
Check out these shots of Glen Pass for an idea: http://erinspctjournal.blogspot.com/201 ... dmill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add on
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks. I took a look at Erin's PCT journal a little while back for her crossing of Forester Pass. I can't decide if she's my new hero, or if she needs to be involuntarily committed (I'm leaning towards hero). :)
I was hoping that 2 weeks after that photo, the snow would have receded some. If I were to go over Kearsarge (which should be easier than Glenn), I'd probably head down to Vidette Meadows and then into Center Basin, or as far up towards Forester as I could stand.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

After reading Erin's PCT journal I've come to this conclusion. If this pressure, extremely hard work, serious danger (risking your life), no fishing, intense days (all day) is your idea of fun (or proving yourself to an extreme), then this is the year for you. If not, you should do some careful planning time wise and location wise. My idea of enjoying the Sierra might be the exact opposite of Erin's writing. For me to have done something like this I would have to first loose my mind. That's just my perspective, and might only apply to me.

Here's my idea of fun.
Mike and me on our trip to Benson.
tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I really feel sorry for people who blocked out this year for their thru-hike. Getting 6 months off from work (or whatever) is itself an extreme accomplishment, but probably one you can't just turn around and reschedule to next year at the last second.

I actually enjoy pushing myself to an extreme (though without the risk to life) for a day here or there, but can't imagine going through this day after day. Of course, having done a number of PCT segments in Southern Cal (in 2 or 3 day chunks), doing the entire So Cal section alone strikes me as a sort of torture. Probably why so many of the thru-hikers I've come across seem like they're stoned out of their minds. :)
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

quentinc wrote:Thanks. I took a look at Erin's PCT journal a little while back for her crossing of Forester Pass. I can't decide if she's my new hero, or if she needs to be involuntarily committed (I'm leaning towards hero). :)
I was hoping that 2 weeks after that photo, the snow would have receded some. If I were to go over Kearsarge (which should be easier than Glenn), I'd probably head down to Vidette Meadows and then into Center Basin, or as far up towards Forester as I could stand.
I called lone pine ranger station this afternoon and they told me west of kearsage pass and vidette meadows is a swamp.I dont know their accuracy.
I think basically its just dayhikes to passes for now.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

New SEKI postings suggesting crossings at Mehrten Creek refer to different locations for "east crossing" and "west crossing". Pardon my ignorance, but would "east crossing" refer to "from the east side" or "eastbound"? :confused: