South Lake to North Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: South Lake to North Lake

Post by maverick »

Definitely N-S, even if you do the longer version.
The views coming into Evo Valley & Basin are much better coming in from the north
as is LeConte Canyon, and Dusy Basin.
Yes the ascent up to Bishop Pass from Leconte is steep, but the views opening up to you
as you get higher will occupy your mind, which is better than the views when ascending
LeConte Canyon towards Muir Pass.
As mentioned snow should not be a big deal by late July, and stream crossings should be
pretty safe by then, skeeterz on the other hand will probably be bad so be prepared.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Hi kpeter,
I was also planning on doing the South Lake to North Lake hike sometime this Aug and was also trying to work out the shuttle issue. I came across this link of shuttle services and was thinking this might be a good option, as I wasn't sure how long I would have to wait if hitch hiking. I think I found the link in the "Transportation To and From" threads but I can't remember. http://www.climber.org/data/shuttles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess another possibility is that if either one of us decides to hike N-S based on this board's consensus AND we somehow decide to start on the same day, we can meet at either the north or south lake and one of us can drive the other's car to the other lake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'd save your money on a shuttle for the SL to NL thing. There is enough traffic in the area, and you will be able to get a ride. I think we're into the over-analysis stage of this problem.

I'll be coming out of NL on Sept 18th, if you are still looking for a hitch by then :p I'll gladly give you a ride back to SL.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I often end trips with a hitch hike back to the trailhead where I started. Never had a problem getting a ride quickly. Look for people at the trailhead who are about ready to leave. Most are happy to give you a ride at least down to the junction; many will take you all the way to the other trailhead. It is best to hitch solo. Always have your backpack with you -- it sends a signal that you are a member of the tribe and not a threat.

Mike
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

I like the N to S, over Lamerk Col, and then taking the trail Timberline suggested. Its actually a beautiful walk from South Lake to North Lake.
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

I vote for North to South, too. Nice to end in Dusy Basin and going down the south fork of Bishop Creek Canyon.

Like the idea of parking your car where you're going to end up and hitch to your trailhead since it's so close, but it depends on what time of day you're planning on heading out on the trail. (Moot point if you decide to do the "whole" loop.) Don't worry about getting a ride...I always get a ride and I always give a ride...last year took a PCT through hiker from the South Lake tailhead to Bishop (even though I wasn't going to Bishop.) And later in the summer took a hiker from South Lake to his car at North Lake.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

After mulling over the excellent advice offered earlier in this thread, I will plan to do a complete circle trip. I will start at South Lake, go up to Tyee or George Lake on the first night, coming down and around Sabrina and doing a bit of road walking to head over Piute Pass and then completing the loop North to South as normal.

Two questions:

1. I plan to start on July 27. Any reason for concerns about snow or high water anywhere along the route by then?

2. Any advice about camping around Tyee Lakes/George Lake/Table Mountain on my first night in?
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

The only stream crossings of any significance that don't have a bridge are the multiple crossings of French Canyon creek at Hutchison Meadow (it splits into multiple channels, not a big deal) and Evolution Creek in Evolution Valley. Evolution Creek has a reputation, so that would be the only one to worry about. All other crossings are not significant - a few side streams here and there, and the outlet stream of Helen Lake.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I will have enough time on this loop to take a layover day somewhere along the way. Those of you who have spent some time in this section of the JMT, where would you take your layover?

I have taken earlier packtrips in to explore into Dusy Basin and into Humphries Basin, so I will resist the urge to linger in those areas. Should I take an extra day at Evolution Lake and dayhike up Darwin canyon (since I am not doing Lamarck Col?) How about a day exploring x-country to McGee and/or Davis lakes? Or given the snow, maybe I should hang out at a lower elevation. Spend a day in Evolution Valley?

Then again, I might be spending my layover next to a stream crossing somewhere waiting for it to go down!
ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

It's been many years, but Darwin Canyon was pretty cool. Evolution Valley will be very wet. I haven't been to McGee Lakes yet (on next year's itinerary), but I'm looking forward to that. This may not be a good year for the Ionian Basin because of all the snow. Very rugged and isolated.