The way we were...

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: The way we were...

Post by mokelumnekid »

Bsq-and no wonder you are gripped, look at those SHOES! Another victim of big boots! We should start a support group. Actually given how now that climb is such a zoo, it must have been novel back then. One of favorite memories of my wife is watching her dance up the SE buttress of Cathedral in the early '90's when we had first met and I realized I had finally found a partner who could kick my a-s and teach me technique. Still true that.
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

That is a great shot B2! You do look scared. Classic!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

All of these photos make me smile! :)

This one is not quite so old but it was already on my computer...

First time up Mount Whitney...Oct 1 1980...only 7 people, including us, on the summit all day

(By the way, Sierra cups are still great to make instant cheesecake in)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

After making it on the South Buttress of Denali, 1973

Mike
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Hilarious stuff here. Thanks for the look back in time.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

hikerchick395 wrote:This one is not quite so old but it was already on my computer...

First time up Mount Whitney...Oct 1 1980...only 7 people, including us, on the summit all day

(By the way, Sierra cups are still great to make instant cheesecake in)
Actually my Cathedral picture is also from 1980, probably July. Egad, that was 31 years ago!! :confused:
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This was my first year climbing when I was in High School. I am the second from left, with the gray wool stocking cap. This was a transition- some of us were still in the classic knickers, some had gone to long pants. We all had wood shaft ice axes, canvas backpacks and wool clothing. This was Labor Day, 1965, Lake of the Hanging Glaciers, Selkirks, BC, Canada.

Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

OK I'll join in. Two shots of two phases of my backpacking advetures.

1st. Mosquito Flat Trailhead in 1976 ( :eek: :D ).

2nd. Muriel lake in 1993 in the HB with my wife deb with son Josh at 2.5 years.

With the help of others, we did several trips with Josh in tow until he was 3.5, when he just was too big to carry any longer. My pack may look big, but Deb had the much more difficult load as it weighed more than one would think (that storage area underneath was packed so tight you couldnt hammer in a buttered needle :eek: ) and her load shifted around and talked back :nod:

Those early trips had an effect on Josh as he is now the adventurous baclpacker of the family at 21 years. :) :nod: :) :nod: .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

In honor of this late snow year...

Barret Lakes August 1983
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

[saint] Diane just below Reflection. The day before we had come from Longly Pass. What a shame we didn't have a camera on this trip (July 1974). A kindly backpacker took this picture and mailed it to us. If he's alive he's over 80, more like 90. I know I look like a cradle robber but Diane is 22 years old here. Once she was helping me at my school (where I was a teacher) and she was mistaken for an 8th grader.
Last edited by Cross Country on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.