Beating the Snow Trip Suggestion

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Beating the Snow Trip Suggestion

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Yup, there is a bridge. See below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I just read the BACKCOUNTRY CONDITIONS UPDATES and it just validates what I already thought. For backing in early (maybe all of) July, Doyle WD's suggestion of the Kern is a good one. My suggestion of Laurel, Bearup, Edith and the Lake below is a good one too. Trying to get something from something that isn't there leads to disappointing, really difficult (too difficult) trips. My advice is take what nature leaves (gives) you and enjoy it. I always enjoyed what nature let me have and never tried to wrench from her what isn't there just yet. Patience's is a virtue. Persistence is best used intelligently. I've been persistent to a fault but rarely went the wrong place in the Sierra because of snow conditions. Choose your destinations intelligently. There are some GREAT places to go in the Sierra below the high Sierra. I believe that sometime in August and most of September will be a good time for the high Sierra. If you really enjoy snow camping, get going right now to the high country. You've probably already spent many nights in the backcountry hiking (or skiing) and camping in the snow.
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Doyle:

Thank you for the information and the picture to back it up, we will probably end up going that way due to the uncertainty of the crossing at Forks of the Kern. If anyone has any quick insight about that crossing please feel free to say it.

Cross Country:

I like your advice, I am going to make the most of this trip and I feel it will be very enjoyable. The Kern River area is new to me and I will be sure to soak up all that nature has to offer. And I do love the snow, however 3 days after this trip I am headed up to the Valley to make an attempt on the Leaning Tower (west face) and the Lost Arrow Spire.

-Bryan
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I may have crossed at Forks of the Kern in high water more than anyone. I know the best place to cross. For the next 2 to 6 weeks it will be absolutely dangerous. I wouldn't even consider crossing soon. One can hike to Kern Flat in one day via the bridge that cross the LK (picture). I once hiked out from Kern Flat and drove home to LA in the same day via the bridge.