aerial photos from 6/23

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

aerial photos from 6/23

Post by paul »

found these on another forum:

https://picasaweb.google.com/JoeFellerA ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: aerial photos from 6/23

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. Given that I haven't been up to the high country yet, this is a pretty good index for this past weekend. Other than the eastern flank (looked to me as if the lakes of Little Lakes Valley would be thawed), I don't see much of any of the lakes thawed, so my gear will stay up on the shelves for another week or two.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

That looked like Garnet and Thousand Island in front of Banner, no? I wonder what the usual thaw date is for those lakes?
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Much Much Much thanks. The Mt Tom and Rock Creek shots told me all I need to know about cancelling out on a 10 day trip into Humphreys, French, Bear Lakes, etc.

Not even a sniff of a lake outline up in there. Just WOW!!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

kpeter wrote:That looked like Garnet and Thousand Island in front of Banner, no? I wonder what the usual thaw date is for those lakes?
most years they are free of ice by now, barely any snow touching on the west side
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thank you! This is almost like having a private plane for snowmelt reconnaissance work. :)
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Man, those are awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

Ladd
BenandStar
Topix Newbie

Post by BenandStar »

kpeter,
It took me awhile to recognize T.I. and Garnet and our planned route around the lakes starting July 18th. It's almost unrecognizable compared to all the previous photos we've seen of the area.

These aerials are worth 100 times more to me than any snow plots, graphs, or tables.

We have been living in 95-100 degree temps and humidity since May this year. It's difficult to imagine being suddenly interjected into that environment (even with the melting between now and then).
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Thanks for the great photos!
Your pic of the Whites was the decision maker for changing directions for this weekend from our planned trip to Kaiser wilderness.