Down The JMT: Late July-Early August 2011

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Down The JMT: Late July-Early August 2011

Post by Coolbreeze »

Hmph. I would never dream of behaving in such an underhanded, deceitful fashion. [-( I am shocked and appalled at the very suggestion. [-X

In all seriousness, at this point I've decided to stick with the original plan. I have secured a permit (including an exit) for the right dates, so all systems are go. The snow will just make things a little more interesting the first week.

One thing I could use some advice about is camping at Red's Meadow the night before I hit the trail. There are a bunch of different campgrounds in the area, can anyone recommend a good one?

Thanks again for your help, everyone. It's very much appreciated.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

I've never stayed at Red's Meadow Campground but if you're able to get a reservation there, the bathhouses are not to be missed. Otherwise, all other campgrounds in the Mammoth vicinity all look decent. The campground that you drive through to get to the Duck Pass trailhead (I can't think of the name of it) is the last of the campgrounds on that road and backs up against a mountainside (so not as much drive-through traffic). I stayed there and enjoyed it. But, I think all of them are probably just fine. If you want to stay at the small campground at the Thousand Island Lakes trailhead, that's a good one. I've stayed there several times.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The campground near the bath house has a section for backpackers and is the place to stay. When you get to the store they will point you in the right direction. I think you are still required to pay a fee to camp there.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice

Post by Coolbreeze »

Thanks a million, SweetSierra and gary c.
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice

Post by Coolbreeze »

Got another question for you good folks. With the big melt apparently getting underway, stream crossings are obviously going to be a concern. I understand Evolution Creek can be tough to cross, but I'm in the dark about any others. Can anyone point out any other potentially dangerous crossings? Thanks!
lambertiana
Topix Regular

Post by lambertiana »

The only other crossings that could get interesting (at least that I can think of off the top of my head) are Bear Creek, the South Fork Kings, and possibly the Lyell Fork below Donohue Pass (the upper crossing; the lower crossing has a bridge). I have never seen the Mono Creek crossing, so I don't know what conditions are like there. All the other crossings have a bridge (like Piute Creek and Woods Creek) or shouldn't be too difficult (all the streams in the basin between Donohue Pass and Island Pass, upper Bubbs Creek, Tyndall Creek, Wallace Creek, etc, etc).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Read the journal entry from day 57 of Erins PCT hike for a description and picture of her party crossing Evolution creek 3 days ago. This girl is making regular updates and posting a lot of interesting pictures of her PCT hike. Her last entry was yesterday from VVR.

http://erinspctjournal.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Coolbreeze
Topix Novice

Post by Coolbreeze »

Thanks, guys. Thanks for the link, gary c. Great resource.

All in all it's not too bad out there. Reminds me of '98.