Cross Country Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by whrdafamI? »

Rogue, why don't you just drop the phony romantic affection that you have with your upcoming death? If that is what you are into take it somewhere else. All of us die someday. Its not like you are planning to do something unique. I knew a guy back in High School who was just like you in this regard. Always making comments about how close to dying he was. The downside is that the SOB is still around forecasting doom and gloom for his life. He has never really quite got it right.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Good luck rogue...yeah people are crazy, including you.
Last edited by sparky on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Ha! Life is good people go hike
Last edited by sparky on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Sparky, I am not quite sure how you associate Rogues "Death Wish" mentality with my ego? Personally I am more into living as long as can so that I can do as many BP's as possible. If that is a ego problem for you then I will take it. And "sir" since you seem to know the process why don't you repeat your cure 10 times yourself?
Last edited by whrdafamI? on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Gentlemen,

Let's stick with the subject at hand, and if you do not care to contribute in a constructive
manner, than please don't! Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey guys...this name-calling crapola, crossing the line of forum etiquette - deletions?
No place for that here.

Got to admit that while highly skeptical of Rogue's plans, cannot wait to hear how it comes out.
See?...positive!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

This thread seems to derail whenever the "D" word is mentioned. It concerns some, annoys some and is neither here nor there for the rest. Rogue, you said you didn't want drama around it and it was irrelevant. Perhaps, if we all stop responding and reacting to it, it will go away, just like that.

But, what the heck do I know?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Personally I think this discussion is interesting and at least partly relavent to rogues travels. I am not trying to stir any pot, but also not going to let someone have their character attacked without speaking up. I guess I am just a crazy stupid risk taker :)

Moderators are here to delete what they feel is necessary.

I got no ill will towards bill :)

My nephew had a true death wish, and finally succeeded in hanging himself. Big difference than taking a risk. I am glad people throughout history were not afraid to push boundaries....I like to live in houses and use computers and buy food at the store.
Last edited by sparky on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You were asked not to go back and forth with this sillyness, and your post was deleted.
If you wish to continue to be a HST member, let it go. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I think what Rogue implies that he is OK with his own mortality so to speak and understands the inherent risks involved. He will take this risk in order to go after his dream of solitude and self reliance in the backcountry. The reward is hiking the Sierra OFF the PCT and without the safety net of thru-hikers with SAT phones, PLB's, etc. The guy wants to do it on his own terms.

I wish him the best, I just wish he'd take a walking axe and some traction devices. But I do think he's got the sense to back away from dangerous situations.

And you know, I envy the guy!! After battling my perceived mortality this year and suffering alot of mid-life anxiety, I wish I had the BALLS to walk out into the wilderness alone. Unfortunately my big trip is snowed under and shall be saved for a later date, but I am envious.