Loon Lake to Rubicon Res.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Loon Lake to Rubicon Res.

Post by PatrickQuin »

In an attempt to find a respite from this years snow fall I am thinking of heading up the Rockbound Valley from Loon Lake this coming week. I have gotten two relatively different stories from two different people at the Forest Service. I am under the impression that this would be a fairly snow free trip. One at the FS agreed with me while another told me I will be in need of snow shoes or skis. I can bring the snow shoes but if i really do need them, I'm not sure i really want to go. So I am putting this out there to see if any of you folks have some beta for me. Has anyone headed out this way early season in the past, or even this season? Any water crossing/trail finding problems that one can fore see? What have folks seen at similar elevations (this will all be below 7000 ft) in the desolation recently? And while we are on it, I am open to any great sierra fishing destinations that won't be absolutely snow choked this week. Thanks everybody.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Loon Lake to Rubicon Res.

Post by windknot »

Hey Patrick,

I'm in the same boat. I was looking for an overnight backpack destination in Desolation for next weekend, but I spotted this on the USFS website:

These were taken on June 17 in the Velma Lakes basin, and it's not looking like any of the lakes in the 7,800-8,000 foot range there will be definitely ice-free by the beginning of July. So Rockbound Valley should be a go, but you might run into snow. I'm going to search for some west slope options down in the Hwy 168/180 country, since the snow line should be higher the further south you look.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Decided on my 25 year standby: Davis Lk. single-person pontoon boats. A campground on Monday/Tuesday. Rainbows and maybe a Pike :rolleyes:
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Based on my historical data, I'd guess you'll be fine. I'm sure they'll be some snow around, but the most important thing is that the lakes will be thawed out and you can go lunker hunting. There will be enough dry ground to camp. I would be absolutely shocked if this is not the case. If it were me and I didn't have other obligations I wouldn't hesitate to go to this area right now. In fact I would have tried it a bit earlier.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We hiked this last weekend as a day-hike. Pretty tough sledding on the early sections, with tons of water on the trail,a nd very stream crossing an adventure. (you can see photos on our Picasa page here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/ ... ampout2011#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We got to Spider Lake and called it a day...I am sure the crossing of Rubicon Creek would be really hairy!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963