Do you think you knew about sun screen?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Do you think you knew about sun screen?

Post by Snow Nymph »

I wear long pants and cycling sleeves. Some days its just too hot to wear long sleeves so I use sunscreen. I've got dark skin anyway, but I've got a lot of spots showing up the last 5 years. I had a cancer scare in 06, so trying to stay covered up. Last week I got a bad sunburn from the snow reflecting under my wide brim hat. :-( First burn in a few years.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

I agree the people of africa,asia minor,india wear loose and copious clothing.Ive been trying to figure out a way of incorporating this for mtn hiking.I have a very wide brim hat-I chose the hat with widest brim at REI, not for looks-it is a womans hat since all the brims on mens hats are much smaller(vanity?). Im trying to figure out how to make a breathable bandana-maybe a silk scarf that doesnt blast my exhaust back in my face.Probably a special way of overlap wrapping over nose and mouth will solve this?Does anybody have a silk source in LA?thx

Im suspicious of what toxins are in sunscreen so i have wondered wouldnt it be better to just apply a thick coat of dirt/mud to the skin.Much less harmful and free and abundant.Also saves pack weight!
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Not a bad site and I learned a couple things.

UVA and UVB protection is good.

Mineral Blockers are safer than chemical ones.

Re-apply often.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I wear long sleeve pants and hat also. I am an electrician and spend plenty of time in the desert sun when we run our conduits underground. No one that I work with has ever put on sun screen. Not that it doesn't have its place, but there also isn't a skin cancer plague among construction workers I know of. I do know people who don't spend a lot of time outdoors, or way too much time outdoors that have had issues.

As with all things, its different strokes for different folks and moderation is key. Don't expect one blanket answer for all.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Also a tan is natural, a burn is not. Take that for what its worth
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I remember some study showing that people who worked outdoors having less skin cancer than average. Supports my (and your) theory about the benefits of a base tan.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Some people are more susceptible than others. Blame your DNA. Possibly those less susceptible are the ones more likely to choose an outdoor profession? After one or two bad burns an outdoor worker may switch to an indoor career, leaving those with some resistance predominate and skewing the study results.

My dermo told me certain drugs (eg statins) may make you more susceptible, and some food combinations. I recently started taking a statin daily and have not noticed a difference (yet).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

dave54 wrote: My dermo told me certain drugs (eg statins) may make you more susceptible, and some food combinations. I recently started taking a statin daily and have not noticed a difference (yet).
I've heard that certain antibiotics also make you more susceptible to burning. Hence, one of our fishing friends had to drop out of the last two days trip.

Yes, I got burned on my face (from lake glare), and my neck from sun and wind.

Also remember to check the expiration date on the sunscreen bottle. :retard:

I was covered otherwise.. Gotta get a new hat that covers the back of my neck and ears..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

quentinc wrote:I remember some study showing that people who worked outdoors having less skin cancer than average. Supports my (and your) theory about the benefits of a base tan.
Some of us never, and I mean NEVER, acquire a base tan. Try a base burn, and burn, and burn.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Sorry to hear that AT -- must make things difficult!