Where to buy dehydrated food near Venice Beach

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Where to buy dehydrated food near Venice Beach

Post by guyd »

We will fly from Canada next Monday, and stay two days in Venice Beach before heading for some short backpacking trips in SEKI and Yosemite. We decided not to cook and only rehydrate some recipes in freezer bags instead of buying expensive freeze-dried meals.

Since we cannot bring our own ingredients we will buy locally but do not know your retail stores...

While we could modify to be simpler, some of my wife's recipes currently involve:
- dried ognions
- powdred butter
- dried red bell pepper
- dried eggs
- dried bacon
- tomato powder
- lemon powder
- dried corn
- Quesco fresco Cheeze (what is that?)

Where could we find that near Venice Beach??
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where to buy dehydrated food near Venice Beach

Post by rlown »

so, from that list.. you're not just boiling water for a freeze dried meal. there must be some other proteins and starches you don't mention..

Anyway, http://www.yelp.com/map/whole-foods-market-venice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; would be a place, but with so few days on your trip, there is nothing wrong with dropping by an REI or Big 5 in the area or on the way, and doing the freeze dried thing..
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

I meant we would prepare some recipes out of dried items, pre-package them in zip-lock freezer bags, and just add boiling water.

Yes the starch (lentils, dried mashed potatos, etc.) and protein (chicken/tuna in foil pouch, etc) were not mentioned because was sure there was no problem to find in any large grocery...

Freeze dried commercial meals at REI may get expensive for a family of five, but it certainly is our plan B!
Thanks
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

will u have a car or bicycle for LA transport?most of these are a bike ride away...

REI santa monica is 2miles from venice.
Whole Paycheck is close but xpensive
Trader Joes on pico blvd is 4miles or so from venice-cheaper version of Whole Paycheck
sport chalet in marina del rey-2miles
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mtngirl
Topix Newbie

Post by mtngirl »

Hi!

Sounds as if you may be on your trip already, but if you're checking posts, here's some suggestions:

- dried onions--There's 99 cents store at 241 Lincoln Blvd.,Venice: http://maps.google.com/?q=241%20Lincoln ... A+90291+US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not been to this particular one, but I know mine carries dried onions--usually a couple different brands

- powdered butter--Also found at my 99 cents store

- dried red bell pepper--possibly 99 cents store

- dried eggs--I would call the REI or a Sports Chalet in the area and ask if they carry dried eggs. I spent hours a couple years ago trying to find them in Southern California. REI didn't have any; ended up getting them at Sport

- dried bacon--Most standard grocery store chains these days carry the shelf-stable bacon

- tomato powder--I don't where you can find this. Maybe Whole Foods--although mine doesn't! (I always mail order mine.)

- lemon powder--I have found this at 99 cents store at times; otherwise check Whole Foods

- dried corn--Do you mean freeze-dried corn? Whole Foods is probably your only option for this; they have it at mine, but you'll need to ask because they move around the freeze-dried food all the time

- Quesco fresco Cheeze (what is that?)--Queso fresco is a skim milk cheese (very mild) used in lots of Mexican recipes. You might actually get lucky and find this at the 99 cents store. Otherside, you can find probably find this at any standard grocery store in the cheese section BUT if there is a Mexican supermarket in the area you're staying, you're better off getting the cheese there, usually much cheaper than standard grocery stores

I would recommend checking out the 99 cents store first and then going to other places from there. I am always amazed at what I find there--often the same items I pay 3 to 4 times more in a standard grocery store--and they often have organic produce in addition to standard produce.

Good luck!