Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Miter, Langley and Lots of Snow -- TR

Post by maverick »

Knew it! Didn't see you post here for a few days, and I was betting that you ran up
there again, you Miter addict.
Would love to see a shot of Sky Blue Lake again, just to compare it to last weeks
shot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I'm, in turn, inspired by Snow Nymph, not that I'll ever approach her consecutive streak.
Mav, here's a shot of SBL. Just a pinhole of blue, this time around:

Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Thanks, QuentinC. Still on a streak, but not doing the big peaks like I used to. Will work on it this year, tho!

Those photos are awesome! I got out of backpacking and kinda miss those days. But my back can't handle carrying any weight so I just have to enjoy my day trips and other peoples trip reports. :)

I was on Cottonwood Pass on Tues 14th, but we couldn't find the trail going up. We went straight up, must've followed your footsteps. We found the trail on the way down, and saw where we missed the 2nd creek crossing to stay on the trail. I was not familiar with this trail, so with it being under snow, missed it. We got to 11,700', all in snow after the pass, then decided to save our legs for Wednesdays hike.

I'm going back to Horseshoe Mdw this weekend and might be doing Langley next month. Not looking forward to the bugs!

Thanks for the report!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice

Post by Old_Hiker »

I just got back from my trip - Horseshoe Meadows, Cottonwood Pass, Big Whitney Meadow, Siberian Pass, Soldier Lake, Chicken Springs Lake then through Cottonwood Pass.

Good thing I've been through this area before. There was so much snow in places. It covered the trail and made navigation difficult. It was also tough traveling over the snow [I don't have spikes], slipping and sliding and keeping away from submerged logs and rocks. I felt though the snow a couple of times.

The first day was uneventfull - the snow at Cottonwood Pass wasn't much of a problem and had to wade over a stream a couple of times in Big Whitney Meadow.

The second day was a pain. Lost the trail through Siberian Pass early and never found it until I was near the top. Then I was presented with a view of snow as far as I could see! It never really got clear until I got near Soldier Laker.

The third day was the worst. Had to travel ~ 11 miles back to Horseshoe Meadow through long sections of snow. There was one section of snow on the pct that caused me to completely miss the trail. I ended up going south of a frozen lake instead of North where the trail normally goes.

There was a good peak of snow at Chicken Springs Lake.

The snow will to make it hard going for a least one week, maybe more.

I keep telling myself I too old for this kind of trip. I somehow survived another one!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Yeah, that PCT section around what you describe as the frozen lake was confusing -- footprints diverged in all directions. Two weeks ago that stretch was really bad, as I was post-holing most of the way in the late afternoon. But things really are melting fast.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Any guesses what is likely to be snow free by late next week? All the way to Soldier Lakes?
We're headed up there over July 4 weekend (like a vast number of other people I would expect) and are wondering if there will be enough snow to need gaiters.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

My guess is that there will still be enough snow that you would be more comfortable with mini-gaiters. Also, if the two creeks along the way are any higher than last weekend, you may need to wade a step or two. And bring lots of DEET! There will probably be an entire infantry of mosquitoes in the Soldier Lake area.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

It might not be totally snow free by late next week, but the route finding won't be difficult because most of the trail, or a significant amount in snowy places will be visible. Most of the snow is consolidated and gaiters are nice but not required. Since there is a lot of snow melt and run off on the trail, I would avoid shoes/boots with mesh siding.
GunnyJC
Topix Acquainted

Post by GunnyJC »

Thanks for the TR Old Hiker...much appreciated! Got any pics to share? We are headed up there as well next weekend for a 6 day trip. Did Langley or the Joe Devel/Pickering/Newcomb peaks look doable without ice axes & crampons?
Semper Fi!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Langley was doable (and done) 2 weeks ago without crampons or an axe. Joe Devel and Pickering had way more snow, so those might need it.