Conditions from Wolverton - Hamilton Lakes,via High Sierra T

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Conditions from Wolverton - Hamilton Lakes,via High Sierra T

Post by Saltydog »

Alij:

I am in touch with a couple of other parties looking at Kaweah Gap, but no one going beyond Bearpaw till the 11th at the soonest. The SEKI report as of 6/20 has snow at only 60% above Hamilton, so it sounds like you ought to be able to find some clear trail and plenty of bare ground by the 4th:

"Mehrten Creek is waist-high and difficult to cross. Snowbridges at Seven Mile and Nine Mile Creeks are ready to give way. 35% snow from Mehrten to Buck Creek. 90% snow from Buck to Bearpaw. Steep, icy & snowy slopes. Crampons can be beneficial. Beyond 15 miles: Above Hamilton Lake, 60% snow. In Kaweah Gap, 100% snow. Big Arroyo, 100% snow at 10,000'. Kern Canyon is snow free. Changing daily. Avalanches seem to be rare."

Creek crossings seem to be the crux of the route. I am planning on going high for shallower crossings, avoiding snow bridges.

Let us know what you find up there, OK?

Thanks
alij13
Topix Newbie

Post by alij13 »

Thanks for all the posts!!!! The trip was amazing! Only real hazerdous river crossing was at Merthen Creek. Only a few snow patches from Buck creek up to Bearpaw (nothing you can't just go around) No snow on the trail up to Hamilton lakes. Made it halfway up to the Gap, with a few snow field crossings, but once you reach the tunnel, the snow field are heavy and were'nt able to cross without snow gear. The lakes had some snow in them still, but melting fast. The deer up there are not shy, one try to run off with my trekking pole! We were the only ones up at the lake, the crowds didnt start heading in til the 2nd. Beautiful hike, challenging, I highly recommend! I'm sure in the next few weeks you can make it to the Gap with no problems. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Aliji13

I hope you plan to write a TR, with pictures, please.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

It's really great to see someone going to an appropriate destination for the time of this year.
alij13
Topix Newbie

Post by alij13 »

I should clarify...I DID NOT take the wolverton trailhead. We went straight from Crescent Meadow. ANd from talking to people, everyone we ran into that took the Alta trail at Wolverten ended up getting lost, and could not find the trail easily through the snow on that trail! Pics up soon!