Day of driving, Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Day of driving, Yosemite

Post by ChinMusic »

I'm taking my daughter on a backpacking trip to Yosemite/Inyo and I'd like to schedule one day to just drive around and be a tourist.

What are the must-see stops and what would be a good route for the day?
Bmac
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Day of driving, Yosemite

Post by Bmac »

Glacier Point, Inspiration, Bridalveil, Lower Yosemite Falls, Top of Vernal Falls via Mist trail (3-4 miles round trip. If you have more time go to the top of Nevada... about 6-7 miles round trip). That should cover it for a day. Order works well if you are coming up 49 from Fresno, 140 and 120 would mean dropping into the valley and then going back out up 49 to see Inspiration and Glacier, which would add about an hour
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Post by ChinMusic »

I should have mentioned that we will be backpacking from Tuolumne to Happy Isle so no need to hike the Mist Trail on the driving day.

Thanks for the listed stops.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Don't forget the Mariposa grove of big trees. A must see, IMO.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Driving out Tioga Rd is the can't-miss. Driving around the valley should be done as early in the day as possible. Traffic in the afternoon is at its worst. Find a place to park in the day use parking at the village and ride the shuttle around, to not be caught in the jam between Curry and the Village.