Iva Bell Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jenjen
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Iva Bell Loop

Post by jenjen »

Hi All - So glad I found this forum....so much helpful info! I searched some past posts and found some great rip reports of the Iva Bell Hot Springs Loop. However, I'm doing this trip in reverse by starting at Fish Creek, stopping at Iva Bell, continue up to Lost Keys Lakes, over to Purple and Duck Lakes, and finishing the trip at Lake Mary. Based off my topo map, I know there's quite a bit of elevation gain and I'm in fairly decent shape, but is this a killer up-hill grind the entire time (I gave myself up to 5 days so I can also enjoy some down-time)?
Any input would be great. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Iva Bell Loop

Post by maverick »

Hello Jenjen

Welcome to HST!
Please read viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jenjen
Topix Novice

Post by jenjen »

Few more details about my abilities:
I would say I'm a Level 2 with Some backpacking trips, using trails...longest trip being Cottonwood Lakes to Whitney (4 days), Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country with some river crossings.
I take my Canon SLR and photograph lakes and big mountain scenery. Although my permit is for 5 days, I don't plan a layover day.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

There is only one really tough uphill section the way you are going, between the hot springs and Lost Keys Lakes. It is about 2500ft in 2 miles. The path is well graded switchbacks, and it is in the shade virtually the entire way, but they don't stop at all.

The other climb is from Fish Creek to Purple Lake, which is about a 1700ft climb in 2.5 miles (assuming you are doing the Fish Creek cutoff trail), which isn't too bad and has more than half of it in the shade. If you are going all the way to Lake of the Lone Indian, the climb up from Fish Creek to Virginia Lake looks steeper and less shaded, but I haven't done it.

You might consider doing Lost Keys Lakes as a day hike from the hot springs and then heading up Fish Creek via Second Crossing the following day? If you can get an early start on the first day, then think about trying to get all the way to the hot springs on Day 1 - its a long trip (12 miles) but the first 9 miles are all downhill, and there aren't any particularly great options for camping on the way (we stopped at Cold Creek on the way out but there's just not much to do there although there is a pleasant view close by). For a 5 day trip in that direction I would probably try to do Day 1 Reds Meadow to hot springs, Day 2 day hike to Lost Keys Lakes, Day 3 Second Crossing (river permitting - maybe not so wise this July) to bottom of Fish Creek cutoff trail (or preferably to Purple Lake if you are feeling strong), Day 4 to Pika Lake (would be a fair bit of climbing from Fish Creek), Day 5 out. The hot springs are so nice that 2 nights there would be wonderful.
jenjen
Topix Novice

Post by jenjen »

I like your idea of Lost Keys as a day hike....think I might just try that.
The climbs don't sound too bad, especially if they're short and mostly in the shade.
I was a little worried about the river crossing too...the hike is at the end of July, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can cross safely.
Thanks for the info and Happy Hiking!