Running with digital p&s camera

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Running with digital p&s camera

Post by rlown »

don't think it's a problem. both my P&S have been through a lot of jostling over the years, and work fine.. Never ran with one, though.. When off, they usually park any moving gear. Might depend on your P&S.. Most don't like being dropped.. A friends experience, there..
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Ditto what rlown says.

I've taken a small video camera and a p&s on different occasions (Big Sur marathon, etc.) and never had a problem. On another occasion I went out with the video camera for a short run which became an unintentional long run in the pouring rain, still no problems (embarrassing as it is, here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2XRoWdOXkA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

Anyway, I think hiking, scrambling and climbing is worse for cameras than running. More dirt, grime and harder pounding for many more hours than a few hours of running. YMMV.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Quite often I will take my SLR - and sometimes a p&s - and go trail running. Never had an issue. My biggest concern is less the jostling and more if I trip and fall with an impact sure to break my camera...hasn't yet happened (knock on wood)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Darn Shawn, no way I would have run on a highway in the rain or sun, to many bad
drivers, drivers texting, or on there phones for me to take the risk.
I can't count the times folks have taken there eye's of the road and swerved into the
bike lane not 10-15 ft in front of me.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I get that a lot Mav. As it happens, I live in the country and people tell me to run in the city on the sidewalks (neglecting the fact that many streets with cars have to be crossed). And when I was in the city, people said I should find a rural road to run on. Anyway, what I found is one has to constantly be aware of the surroundings as there is no safe place to run. Blissfully, I was only on that highway briefly and just until I could exit the darn thing to get into a residential area. The folks in NC sure can't be as bad as California drivers.

The hazards of business travel.

PS. To the OP, if you get run over, your P&S may not work. :D
foweyman
Topix Newbie

Post by foweyman »

The OP somehow got deleted, it was:

I backpacked a lot with my old film cameras, but never took them running. Now that I have a new digital p&s camera I was wondering if they are susceptible to damage from the agitation of long runs.
Fred Weyman