July 9th Trip To Seven Gables & French, are we SCREWED???

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

July 9th Trip To Seven Gables & French, are we SCREWED???

Post by Flux »

Well, I had this elaborately awesomely leisure plan to stroll into Bear Lakes, Gables, Royce, and French Canyon for 10 days and fish and bag peaks. Well now that the trip is 2 weeks away I am a bit concerned. It is highly likely that many of those lakes are still frozen and it will be virtually 100% snow coverage back there.

Now I am not heartbroken just yet and we still may wander back there, but visions of early season fishing and bombing around those areas seem to be a bit optimistic. While the weather is turning for the better finally, the fantastic amount of snow is not going any place too quick.

I am trying my best to find Beta and the Backcountry Conditions 2011 thread is a big help. Pictures floating in from the PCT thruhikers are also helpful to gauge the situation.

I am simply wondering what other folks who may have hit the backcountry might be thinking about this type of trip right now in that particular area. Good or bad, lay it on me. We had considered having our packs transported up the first pass by pack train, but I am getting no response from those folks. Not great, but hey, you get what you get and maybe I have to wait until Fall. Biggest concern is to me is seeing the lakes open up. I sure do want to fish back there.

French, Gables, Bear Lakes, Royce.........Thanks in Advance.
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: July 9th Trip To Seven Gables & French, are we SCREWED???

Post by windknot »

Just my opinion, but I would have to say that this area is a no-go until mid-July at least. Sorry!
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

I'm with Matt on this one.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with windknot, mid July is optimistic. Mid August sounds reasonable. On a really high snow year, but way lower than this (I believe 1973), I went to the lake under Eagle Scout Peak at 9500 feet. On July 28 it was almost completely frozen over and the fish were having nothing to do with the lake, and this lake has a Western exposure. They were big fish in a little creek.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Go late August or Sept. when everything will be the way you envisioned your trip to
be, also by Sept the hordes of skeeterz will be gone, and all the fish will still be there
waiting for you to catch them.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I'd like to 2nd what maverick said about the fishing with an emphasis. My experience of late season on a high snow year is that I almost always had really good fishing.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

It will be difficult to cross the creek at the 9500 foot JMT crossing. Bring your wetsuit. Likely as soon as the last nearby snow bridges melt through, any PCT thru hikers are going to be sorry. Likely little perplexed communities will grow there on each side of the stream.

In 1998 early August, lakes up the east fork were still all or mostly covered in ice and snow. Throughout High Sierra crest basins, I predict a lot of twentysomethings backpackers will get educated this summer.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

I appreciate all the input and yeah, the optimism is waning for sure.

We have been planning this one for months so it's a bit of a let down, well before it dumped 20 feet in a month. We may still head back for a few days depending on the outcome of my buddies hike today, or maybe just go for it. Not really sure yet. We could always just boot in there to bag Humphrey's and knock around for a couple days looking for fishable lakes. Worst case we go for a long walk with a fishing pole and I have done that plenty.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

FIY, we cancelled and are probably just looking for some lower altitude easy walk ins where the fishing is reasonable and the views are outstanding with a cold beer in one's hand. I'm gonna take the time and just bomb around the east side looking for fishing holes and nice spots to relax.

Shame, but the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

The fact that you changed you plans because of the conditions make me love you like a brother. We are BP, and wilderness brothers. Smart man.