Mallory from Sky Blue Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mallory from Sky Blue Lake

Post by Jimr »

I posted this in the peak bagging section, but thought I'd put it in a higher traffic area>

Has anyone bagged Mallory from Sky Blue Lake? I've been looking at the possibility of approaching it from the cirque NW of SBL and South of Arc Pass. I don't want anything over class 3. I've seen one report of someone approaching it via the ridge south of Mallory, crossing over to the Meysan drainage somewhere between the word "Tulare", but he wasn't too descriptive regarding difficulty level. Any info would be much appreciated.
36.547560,-118.266401
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mallory from Sky Blue Lake

Post by maverick »

Have you read this Jimr: http://www.summitpost.org/northwest-ridge/158708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Thanks Mav. No, I seem to have neglected the simplest and went straight to the trip reports. It looks like there are possibilities for class 3 route max up the north and south ridge. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has done it.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

There is a class 2 route from Arc pass straight up to the Mallory/Irvine ridge, drop down to the basin on the east side and circle around to the easier southeast side of mallory, if the ridge turns out to be too hard
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Looks like several options available. Thank you both. I may add Irvine and Mallory to the potential itinerary if all goes well. The snow melt, I guess, will be the deciding factor. I may end up fishing on layover rather than peak bagging.