beginner's questions: toothpaste and how many butane

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beginner's questions: toothpaste and how many butane

Post by rlown »

I agree with you to a point, but he's not going there. Bears are not scary, If you're prepared, and keep a clean campsite.. He was wanting to go to SEKi and Yose..
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

My wife was also wondering if we should try to encourage one our teenager of switching to a low fragrance anti-perspirant instead of his usual product that smells at 10 feet, but I understand now that it would not be necessary. Any comment on that?
I say let it all hang out. Why would anyone take antiperspirant on a backpacking trip? It won't work -- you're gonna sweat like crazy no matter what. Learn to love it!

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I agree with you to a point, but he's not going there. Bears are not scary, If you're prepared, and keep a clean campsite.. He was wanting to go to SEKi and Yose.
Rlown, we're getting off topic here.

I think you are wrong -- bears can be very scary, especially to someone new to the backcountry. If, as you say, guyD is planning to hike in Yosemite, then he should be especially aware of the issues. Bears are attracted to heavily used areas, like the High Sierra Camps and the drive-up campgrounds in Yosemite and at Whitney Portal. They are clever, resourceful, tenacious. They can surprise you, as the Whitney Portal anecdote shows. The best prevention is to camp away from crowded areas and store your food properly.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:I agree with you to a point, but he's not going there. Bears are not scary, If you're prepared, and keep a clean campsite.. He was wanting to go to SEKi and Yose..
Rangers warn you not to turn your back on your food when it's sitting right in front of you, when in Little Yosemite Valley, because the bears will run in and snatch it even though you are sitting a couple of feet from it.

A friend was getting something out of a locker in Curry parking lot. She felt something warm, heard heavy breathing, turned to look and the bear had crept up behind her, put its nose nearly in the locker just a foot from her! She screamed, the bear bolted, and nothing was lost.

Habituated bears are habituated bears. All you have to do is not panic, keep an eye out, and play it safe. They don't want to hurt you - they just like your food.

And no matter how many times we say that... the first encounter, and the second, and the third, are always going to be adrenalin rushes, and scary. It's a bear. We're told in the movies that they roar and claw at you. Takes a while to get past that.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

All I asked was to look at Guy's original post. And tie it all together. He wants his family to be safe. I've seen bears on top of people, people between a cub and momma bear, and as long as your calm, it works out. Different areas have different problems. Ask your local ranger about current issues and you'll know what you have to do. Food locked up (given), Curry Parking Lot (go figure :D )

So on topic.. Family of 5; 3 cans of ISO, unless you actually cook meals and not just boil water. Toothpaste; Spit it at least 50 yds away from your camp in an innocuous place.
guyd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by guyd »

Well, to detail where we (2 adults/3 teens) are actually heading for our two short backpacks:

a) 2D/1N in SEKI on Woods Creek up to Middle Paradise Valley campground, and back. (our permit is July 2)
b) 3D/2N on Pohono from G.Point (back-and-forth) (permit July 6). [Plan to camp at Brideveil Creek, and second morning move tents near Dewey Point and continue on Pohono with day packs; out to G.P. on day three]
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

b) the phono trail is not an area that sees heavy backpacking use, so I would not worry about habituated bears there.
guyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by guyd »

rlown wrote:Family of 5; 3 cans of ISO
By cans do you mean 8oz or 4oz cans...?

Flying from eastern Canada, I'll buy probably in Los Angeles (Venice Beach)
Thanks again!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

yosehiker wrote:b) the phono trail is not an area that sees heavy backpacking use, so I would not worry about habituated bears there.
I have the feeling that's different this year... all the people who have reserved permits for trailheads that are still snowbound are probably resorting to it.

But, that said, it's not known for bear issues. You're still required by law to carry the canister, which means you won't have a problem even if bears show up.

Middle Paradise has bear lockers.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Regarding fuel use- many people have 2 or more stoves to choose from, myself included. I use a MSR Superfly, and a MSR Simmerlite. I have found that for my fuel usage, boiling water and an occasional fish dinner, trips that are 5 days or less, I take one 8 oz. canister. I take my MSR Superfly, which is similar to the Pocket Rocket. Longer trips, where I have to take more than one iso canister, the weight advantages are not that great to take the canister stove. Each 8 ounce iso cartridge weighs 12. 5 ounces, so that tends to offset the weight differences between a Simmerlite and a canister stove.
So on longer trips, or when I know it is going to be very cold, I take the Simmerlite, because in many ways, it is a better stove. It performs better in very cold temperatures. It tends to be more reliable. I have had a canister stove completely fail in the middle of a 12 day trip, and that was not good. MSR did replace it for free, but it would have been a problem except I was with someone who had a Whisperlite with a little extra fuel.

For me, a 10 day trip with the Superfly- stove and fuel weight is 31.3 ounces
10 day trip with the Simmerlite- total weight= 32.1 ounces

I did not like the bear canisters at first, but after a while you get used to having to carry one. I prefer to camp away from the crowds anyway, and not be limited to where the bear boxes are located. I agree with some other posters on this forum, that they really are not always that necessary, but they are probably more necessary for some than others. I think it is obvious that any campground or high use backpacking area, the risk is greater for bear problems because of greater numbers of people around making mistakes with their food supplies.