Hetch Hetchy Waterfall Hike TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Hetch Hetchy Waterfall Hike TR

Post by Ikan Mas »

After backpacking all of 3 miles into one of the Cherry Lake boat in camps Friday, I had a hankering for a few more miles. Hetch Hetchy was nearby, so I headed over Saturday for a dayhike up to Rancheria. Yes, I know, this is hardly new territory for this board, but it was fun none the less.

It was a bright and rather warm day. Here are the falls from the dam.

Tueeulala Falls

Wapama Falls from the trail:

You could get through the spray, but is was akin to walking through a carwash. Make sure you have a bag to put your camera in!

The trail above Tiltill Creek has burned since I was last there, so that last mile into Rancheria Falls was rather bleak, though the flowers were pretty good.
I had lunch at Rancheria Falls:
and then walked up to the bridge over Rancheria Creek

After one more soaking, I retured back to the dam as the clouds rolled in.
Great day of hiking.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Hetch Hetchy Waterfall Hike TR

Post by gary c. »

Lots of water flowing through there already. Thanks for the report and pictures.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I was there on the 12th and those falls are impressive. Here is a short video of Wapama.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

nice pics.. wish they'd drain that dam. no need for it with the storage down below..