Day Hike to Green Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bill Markwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Day Hike to Green Lake

Post by Bill Markwood »

I took a day hike to Green Lake outside of Bridgeport on Friday. The last of the ice was breaking up on the lake. There was plenty of patchy snow around the lake, probably 3 to 5 feet deep. Some of my friends hiked up to Upper Virginia Lake on Thursday and said that it was still frozen solid.
We saw a couple of fish rising in the middle of Green Lake but no crusing fish. Not what I expected from a lake that had just gone through ice-out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Day Hike to Green Lake

Post by maverick »

Thanks Bill for the update.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
vsop4me
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Day Hike to Green Lake

Post by vsop4me »

Yes, thank you for the update. We're headed up there next week, will try to get up to East, Gilman and Hoover (going as far as the conditions will allow). I'll follow up with report.