Snow Bridges: Extreme Caution!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Snow Bridges: Extreme Caution!

Post by gdurkee »

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks News Release
June 15, 2011

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Initiates Rescue of Woman Who Had Been Trapped in a Creek Under Snow for an Extended Time

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks' staff initiated a search-and-rescue for a woman who had been pulled from the creek at the Mineral King area of Sequoia National Park on Tuesday, June 14, 2011, at 5:15 p.m. The 52-year-old woman (who is from Squaw Valley, CA) left the Farewell Gap Trailhead on a solo day hike to train for an ultra-marathon. She hiked up Farewell Canyon and crossed Franklin Creek on a snow bridge.

On her way back to the trailhead, the snow bridge collapsed underneath her, and she fell into the creek. She was swept downstream under the snow for 30-40 feet, where she found a spot to stop herself. She stood up in the creek under the snow with no access to the surface. Using her hands, she dug through approximately 5 feet of snow and created a small hole at the surface. She threw her backpack out of the hole, where it was seen by another party who went to examine it and found the woman under the snow nearby.

The woman was hypothermic and incoherent when the second party pulled her out of the creek, as she had been trapped in the creek under snow for over 3 hours. One member of the party went back to the trailhead for help. The remainder of the party provided assistance in warming the woman. Upon notification of the incident, the park helicopter (with a medic) and a ranger (on foot) were dispatched to the scene. When rangers arrived, the woman declined evacuation or medical assistance. She was assisted to the trailhead by a ranger.

Please Note: Anyone interested in visiting Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks should be aware that there is still quite a bit of snow at higher elevations (7,000 feet) in the Central Sierra Nevada Mountains this year, and conditions are expected to last well into the summer due to record snowfall this winter followed by a very cool, wet spring. Rivers in the parks have not crested yet and will do so later than in normal years. Visitors to higher elevations face conditions more similar to late winter or early spring than would be expected at this time of the year. Many trails that normally open in June are still completely covered by snow, and many creek crossings are not passable. Park visitors interested in accessing higher elevations are encouraged to modify their trip plans accordingly.

-NPS-
A good reminder to take this spring snow pack very, very seriously. The same applies to the edges of lakes. Slabs will break off into the lake well into the summer season so stay at least 100 feet away of anything that could calve off.

But for skill and pure luck, this experienced hiker would have been dead.

Safe hiking.

George
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snow Bridges: Extreme Caution!

Post by maverick »

Thank you George for posting this, especially with the current condition out there.
This is one of the over looked dangers of snow travel that all of us need to be reminded
of.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Last week on the big pine south fork i basically chickened out from crossing a snow bridge and it cost me my trip to willow lake and beyond.It was about 15inches thick at thinnest point and 10ft long directly over raging creek.Had to turn back and was frustrated as hell.I was also too chicken to cross a 6ft wide section of raging creek only 2-3ft deep.I couldnt see the bottom of the creek and it was all submerged large boulders.I figured it was impossible to keep my balance or footing on such uneven slick surfaces with raging cold water and a 40lbs pack. I had no contingency plan for falling in water and a breaking leg or getting soaked and freezing.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Postby DAVELA on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm
Last week on the big pine south fork i basically chickened out from crossing a snow bridge and it cost me my trip to willow lake and beyond.It was about 15inches thick at thinnest point and 10ft long directly over raging creek.Had to turn back and was frustrated as hell.I was also too chicken to cross a 6ft wide section of raging creek only 2-3ft deep.I couldnt see the bottom of the creek and it was all submerged large boulders.
No!!! You did not "chicken out" -- you made a solid judgement call based on conditions and your skill. Macho is exactly what gets people into trouble. Willow Lake -- and any lake, peak or meadow -- will still be there. And, of course, so will you.

Excellent decision!

George