Do you think you knew about sun screen?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Do you think you knew about sun screen?

Post by maverick »

Check this out: http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Do you think you knew about sun screen?

Post by rlown »

a firm believer now in long sleeves, pants and a hat. done the burn thing with shorts and a short sleeve shirt. not fun. And snow reflection only makes most of that worse.

Can't worry about it too much, because, well, I like being up there. I like bullfrog, but that's not an endorsement.

According to "the doctors", you only need 5 mins to get your vitamin D that you need for a day. But, you also need other vitamins to process that correctly..

Just cover up..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Going to drop sun screen after the special that was on TV a few days back, until there is some over site.
Been wearing hat, bandanna, long pants, and thin gloves(sometimes) already, so need something for my face, which I can breathe through easily.
Also going to try to see if there has been any studies published for example comparing Northern African countries where folks completely cover up in the desert, compared to westerners who use sunscreen for protection against sunburns and cancer, some how think the folks of Northern Africa have things right. By the way Australia is supposed to have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok.. so let's not panic. I slather my face with sunscreen.. I refuse to breath through a bandana, unless Vogelsang erupts :) . Sunscreen won't save you from everything, but we're here to do what we do, as long as we are able. If skin cancer worries you, you won't go above 9k.

Um.. on the African thing.. different genetics and evolution.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Not panicking, just peeved that we have been given misleading/erroneous information about the protection value of sun screens, the amount that has to be applied, and the waterproofness of these products, which has lead to a major increase of skin cancer over the years.
How many backpackers, hikers who visit higher elevations have/will suffer because of this no to mention all the sun worshipers and beach goers.
According to the new info, we are supposed to apply a golf ball amount every 2 hours to get some protection, also there is no such thing as waterproof or sweat proof sun screen.
Plus some of the chemicals/minerals in sun screen's are not good for you either, these findings have been reported years ago in Europe, yet the FDA is just now starting to take some action, and only now will (starting next year)require companies to put labels warning consumers whether there product protects against uva and uvb rays or not.
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Consume ... 258416.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

apply a golf ball amount every 2 hours
:eek:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yeah, it surprised me too Shawn.
Usually only need to put sun screen on my hands, face, and neck since everything else stays covered up, but I never put on a lot, and do not reapplying every 2 hours.
I lost my sun screen on the way up to Vee Lake last year, and had to use my bandanna over my face which worked okay, but I want to find an easier/convenient solution if possible.

Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Yeah, I usually apply a spray variety of Banana Boat to my arms, face and neck. If I'm under the sun for any length of time, then I also cover my neck with a bandanna or 'Buff and wear a hat'. Here I thought I was good with the sun because I do burn easily and if I get back to the trail head without looking too red I thought I had done okay.

Some years back I was ascending the Copper Creek trail en-route to Granite Lake one day. As I got to upper Tent Meadow I plopped down in the shade of a tree for an unplanned siesta. Some amount of time later I woke up to the worst sunburn on my legs because the sun had shifted (as in "duh"). I've only worn long hiking pants ever since (I still catch the siesta's once in a while though).
Mike McGuire
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Mike McGuire »

Shawn wrote:
apply a golf ball amount every 2 hours
:eek:
To this I would say "bullfeathers!" I have red hair and very fair skin and if reasonable amounts of sun screen didn't work for a good deal longer that 2 hours, I would be the first to know about it. That being said, I do favor long pants, long sleeves and hats that protect neck and ears.

Mike
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

I've always been suspicious of the sunscreen industry. I'd be curious to see the "research" dollars that they lavish on the dermatologists who are their prophets and missionaries.

I know I'll get my share of howls for this, but I think the best advice is to build up a base tan. I never apply sunscreen to my arms or legs, even at 14,000 feet, and I don't burn at all. I do put some on my face and neck, because I'm on the pasty side. But I don't have any confidence the sunscreen is really protecting me from cancer.