FLorence lake questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kanklekiller
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: FLorence lake questions

Post by kanklekiller »

I'm back from my adventuare, and lets say that 25lbs I recently lost sure helped. I reached Dutch lack from the trailhead in 2.5 hours, Hidden took another 1/2 hour. The group I was with were rabbits, I was the turtle (5'7" 223lbs is a slow animal).
I got scarred, as ussual on Keiser Pass becaue the snow banks near the peak were still pretty tall. The patchy snow started soon after Huntington. When we left the trail head at Florence, there was no relevant snow to speak of. I reacha place I call "Coffin Rock" but referred to on this trip as "rest rock" to psych my fellow packers into stopping for a minute. I think its around 8800' elevation. From that point on there was a lot of snow. It was passable, but occasional sink ins reach waiste deep. At Dutch and hidden the main campsites were still under the snow, but if you looked you could find a place to pitch a tent near enough to the lake. The ground was pretty wet.
If you have any questions feel free to email bijou55@sbcglobal.net