sabrina basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MARKSHIKER
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

sabrina basin

Post by MARKSHIKER »

I'mthinking of going into the Sabrina basin June 1. Does anyone have any great trails?x-country or otherwise. Fishing info and snow levels would be nice too. thanks
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

My guess is there still will be a considerable amount of snow up there. That being said, the lakes in the area up higher in the basin (Echo, Hungry Packer, etc...) are gorgeous. Many of the lakes have good fishing...
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I think there will be still be a ton of snow and most or all of the best lakes will probably still be frozen; the best fishing lakes in the basin are some of the higher ones. I'm not sure there will be significant open water to fish as of June 1. The snowpack and thaw this year is similar to 1993 at that latitude. If anyone here went into Sabrina Basin basin as of June 1 that year and found anything thawed that would give cause for hope. That year was heavy enough so that I didn't even open up in the northern Sierra (much lower) until late June and I ended up hitting lakes there at ~7000' that had just thawed out. Mind you there is a considerable north-south gradient (the "thaw line" climbs southward) and the east side does have a strong rain shadow effect so stuff on the east side thaws earlier than lakes of equivalent elevation and latitude west of the crest. Still, my guess is that the odds aren't too good to find thawed lakes there June 1.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;