A different kind of TR

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

A different kind of TR

Post by 87TT »

Not a back country trip but ever since my Dad drove his 1915 Dodge Bros. touring car across country a few years ago while my Mom trailed him in the RV, I have wanted to do it. My Dad was 75 at the time. In 2009 we drove the Dodge to Kaiser Oregon from Lucerne Valley near Victorville. About 850 miles. We went up 395 and spent the 4th of July in Independence. (seemed appropriate) We even drove the Dodge in the parade as well as celebrating the founding of this country. Let me tell you they know how to have a good time too. Pancake breakfast, pie and ice cream social. They had games for young and old including sack races and frog jumping contests. Then there was the pit BBQ and fireworks show. From there we went up and drove around the June Lake Loop and camped above Lee Vining. If you ever drove up 395, you know about the long hills above Bishop and Lee Vining. The old Dodge went up both in high gear. No down shifting although we did drop down to about 23 mph from the usual 35. Up though Bridgeport and on to Reno. We left the 395 at Susanville and took the back roads around Eagle Lake and on up to Klamath Falls Oregon. On up to Bend where we camped at Lava Lakes with my daughter and husband who live in Bend. From bend we went over the pass to Kaiser.

The start of the journey

4th of July in Independence

Coming down the 120 above Lee Vining

Going up the grade above Mono Lake

Klamath Falls Oregon
The car run at Kaiser.

I think about this trip all the time but even more right now because my Dad is doing it again. He's Driving a 1927 Dodge Bros. to Moline Il. He'll be 80 this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A different kind of TR

Post by maverick »

Nice cars, a great tour, and especially special because you could experience it all as a
family!
Thanks for sharing 87TT.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org